Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautifull Old Town (Glidecam Video)

1. Default Beautifull Old Town (Glidecam Video)

Hallo,
    I just started make videos and shoot with the Stedydrive Smoother (kind of German Glidecam). I want to show you the second video I did. I worked with the Steadydrive Smoother, the Canon 600D and the Tokina 11-16 2.8. I didnīt want to tell a story, it is just a learning video and i want to show some beautifull pictures. I hope that you like it and I hope you can give me some advices what I could do better next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrhvY898rig

Very cool shots & so smooth over those brick roads. Not really sure what a glide cam is but I'm going to look it up later. I love those backwards shots.
    rock on!

Nice, I don't own a glidecam (bit steep for my limited work) but you can't beet them for eliminating handshake. especially open-field work where your running/chasing targets..

Blog Entries

Rather spook seeing all empty - presumably shot early morning.
    I enjoyed the music - and that's probably what kept me watching as I was interested in where the music was going once it became clear the film wasnt't.
    Like so many drone films, it just shows us something and we all go "wow" for about 10 seconds and that's it. Just showing us some shots of an old town, no matter how amazing it looks, is not enough to make a film (in my book, anyway). You can admire a great musician's technique, but unless he's playing a piece of music, you lose interest very quickly.
    There was some great use of the glidecam here - shots along old walls or down narrow alleys work particularly effectively. There were also some lesser shots where you allowed the camera to tilt and this is quite off-putting when combined with the movement.
    I am, of couse, being very picky as I know I couldn't get results nearly as good as you.
    Tim

I enjoyed the movie and the music

the only problem for me is light - you filmed it in extremely flat, grey lighting - if you are experimenting, try it on a day where there is a lot of sun and shadow - also at different times of the day (including at night) - having some people in the shots wouldn't hurt either

I made it half way through. Nice technique though.

i kinda got lost with the technique as i was trying to work out out much of that town is really "old" or leastwise the actual buildings. It all looked new build in an old style to me ... PVC window frames, perfectly straight apex and ridge lines !? you dont find many of those in York, Chester or Stratford

Some nice footage but all a bit samey.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    i kinda got lost with the technique as i was trying to work out out much of that town is really "old" or leastwise the actual buildings. It all looked new build in an old style to me ... PVC window frames, perfectly straight apex and ridge lines !? you dont find many of those in
    Lol. So very true. It's all extremely "square". It's the sort of place my wife might like to live - sort of "character" but everything neat and tidy and built so furniture fits into corners
    Tim

I noticed you cut the shots to the music but some of the shots lasted too long for what they were. I may be old fashioned but I thought a moving shot should be for a reason ie it goes from one thing to another thing. I suppose this type of video was just a walk through the town but it would have helped maintain viewer interest if some of the shots had more purpose to them.

Still nice for what it is.

10. Default

Thank you for the feedback, this really helps me!
    I admit that the video could be a little boring. But like I already said this video wasn't meant to tell a story or something like this. I just went out to train with the Glidecam. I cut the shots to a video to get some feedback. Maybe it is a bit long.

Did you see my new video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGopCx5BA7E

Now I think my skills are god enough to do some bigger and more interesting projects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast