Thread: How to lower volum of a specific bell sound from an mp3

Default How to lower volum of a specific bell sound from an mp3

Hello. I have a piece of music I plan to use for an upcoming video. But the dominant and most common sound is bell that is just slightly too loud and almost ear piercing, to me, having listened to the song hundreds of times in the last several days

I have never had to alter a specific sound from a song that I did not have full channel/voice/sound control over and am unsure how to accomplish this. Thanks for help

One way to do it is to find the frequency of the bell and lower that frequency with EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    One way to do it is to find the frequency of the bell and lower that frequency with EQ.
    Thanks, appreciate it. No idea how to do that, either, but ill be googling it shortly
    Last edited by deema; 06-02-2015 at 05:42 AM.

Blog Entries

The spectral repair tool in Isotope RX4 (and presumably other tools) might well be useful for this. I've just successfully removed/reduced noise of my daughter knocking the mic stand whilst singing without any noticable affect on the singing. RX4 is the most useful "Get out of jail" tool I've purchased.
    If you can post a small sample (or even the whole song) somewhere I'll have a play and you can tell em what you think.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The spectral repair tool in Isotope RX4 (and presumably other tools) might well be useful for this. I've just successfully removed/reduced noise of my daughter knocking the mic stand whilst singing without any noticable affect on the singing. RX4 is the most useful "Get out of jail" tool I've purchased.
    If you can post a small sample (or even the whole song) somewhere I'll have a play and you can tell em what you think.

Sweet, this sounds perfect, I'll check it out for sure. And I will upload a snippet, later today, thanks, appreciate it.

Lost time. Downloading trial now. I hope that it is full featured enough to accomplish this. I have no interest in paying 350$ for software to do this. Truth is, I am positive the free app Audacity can do this, as well as almost all other in depth audio apps, with the right knowledge. As that is the case, it is not worth me spending--- Ugh, just tried it. I have absolutely no respect for developers that are so stingy that they do not even allow "saves" in trial mode. I am a developer. That sh!t is garbage... but thanks for the tip.... unless you posted on their behalf, that is

7. Default

I recommend getting Reaper. It's a fully functioning DAW (digital audio workstation) that asks you to buy it for $60 if you like it. A bit overkill for simple audio work but generally more flexible than Audacity.

Short of something like Isotope RX4, the right processing in Reaper should get it done. I would try the ReaFIR plugin set to compressor mode and tuned in to that one frequency of the bell. Fortunately a bell really is a very simple and stable tone that you should be able to focus on precisely. I just used it earlier tonight to de-ess a vocal track in a song.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deema View Post
    Lost time. Downloading trial now. I hope that it is full featured enough to accomplish this. I have no interest in paying 350$ for software to do this. Truth is, I am positive the free app Audacity can do this, as well as almost all other in depth audio apps, with the right knowledge. As that is the case, it is not worth me spending--- Ugh, just tried it. I have absolutely no respect for developers that are so stingy that they do not even allow "saves" in trial mode. I am a developer. That sh!t is garbage... but thanks for the tip.... unless you posted on their behalf, that is
    I did not post on their behalf but why wouldn't you have thanked me if I had done so?
    If you'd wanted a freebie you should have said so in your original post. Indeed I offered to have a go for free. So there was really no need to slag of developers for not giving their work away for free.
    Tim