Thread: How to rip dvd(non protected) to hard drive

Default How to rip dvd(non protected) to hard drive

Stupid question i'm quite sure but what inexpensive or free software do I need to rip my personal(non protected) dvd's to my hard drive so I can edit them with something like Movie Maker?

I do the same thing with Creative Software for my music cd's just don't know where to go or even how to search on this similar problem.

Thanks in Advance :P

Pop the dvd in the drive, transfer all the VOB files to your harddrive. These contain the video.

Default Vob to mpeg?

Wow that was too easy.

Ok I have a VOB file. Looks like Movie Maker doesn't see it. What do I need to make it into an mpeg. ? I don't really need any editing as I can do what I need in analog mode but I do need to make a downloadable video.

Thanks In Advance

Quote Originally Posted by Babette_zz View Post
    Wow that was too easy.

Ok I have a VOB file. Looks like Movie Maker doesn't see it. What do I need to make it into an mpeg. ? I don't really need any editing as I can do what I need in analog mode but I do need to make a downloadable video.

Thanks In Advance
    what i have learned to do in order to burn or copy movies from a dvd is using dvd shrink, you make 2 folders on your desktop first one is called VIDEO-TS second one is AUDIO-TS , when you put your dvd into your dvd burner, open dvd shrink, (use your video-ts folder as your destination folder) then click on open disk, and it puts the movie onto your hard drive , in your folder, then i use nero recode and burn it to a dvd, it takes about 30 minutes tops to do both..hope this helps , you can email me if you want more details..