Thread: Is there a software that makes storing and organizing my untouched video files easy?

Default Is there a software that makes storing and organizing my untouched video files easy?

I use a Canon Vixia HF R400 camcorder to film my kids and family events. My problem is that I don't have a good system for storing the video files. My current system consists of dumping the SD card in a folder with the date of the dump. Usually, I will wipe the SD card at that point but some times I forget and continue using the card. So then the next time I dump the SD card, I have duplicated files but they are in a different folder. Are there any programs on Windows or Linux (preferably available on both but not required) that can take the files from my SD card, rename them to use the datestamp on the file, and dump them in a single folder?

So if I have 0003.MTS created on 2015-10-31 18:48:09, it would be renamed to 2015-10-31_18-48-09.MTS or 2015-10-31_1 (and subsequent files that day would become 2015-10-31_2.MTS, 2015-10-31_3.MTS, etc).

Any ideas? This would make it a lot easier for me to stay organized and avoid duplicate files.

Normally the camera and the computer knows if it has already downloaded a picture or video so it tags it as such. I always use a USB lead to connect the camera. If you tale the SD card out of the camera to download this could be why your getting duplicate files.

How does it know, even if using USB? Is there software for that? If I just connect via USB and copy the .MTS files to a folder like I've been doing, they will still be named 0001.MTS, 0002.MTS, etc. Right? Am I missing something? As far as the computer is concerned, these are just files on a removable storage device.

The software I use came with the Nikon camera I have. I think it's just called Nikon transfer. I'm sure it's free to down load from the internet. I don't know exactly how it knows, I think it's a kind of magic.

I might be missing the point here, but there is possibly nothing wrong with your approach, it may be the method you employ to organize your files. I use some third-party file managers to organize my clips, because sometimes navigating through what can seem to be endless subdirectories, especially via Windows Explorer, can give me a headache. I like to use Q-dir because you can have four directories available to you simultaneously, along with the many features the software offers. Either that or MultiCommander, which is a favorite of mine, and once you get used to the program's keyboard shortcuts you can organize files like a breeze.

Blog Entries

For the renaming aspect this program will almost certainly do what you want.
    Tim