Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better video quality from point and shoot cameras?

Default Better video quality from point and shoot cameras?

Hi, I found a 4 megapixel Kodak EasyShare C330 camera at a thrift store for like five dollars (I couldn't pass it up) and the picture quality is excellent for the price I paid, however the videos are extremely pixelated. Is it possible to improve the video quality at all or is it what you see is what you get?

Basically, you get what you pay for. This camera only shoots SD video so you have to keep the viewing window small or it will look pixelated. The best you could hope for is up scaling the footage and hope for the best.

Blog Entries

Whilst I agree you get what you pay for, in terms of resolution, don't forget that SD is DVD quality.
    Tim

True but it is old tech in an old camera. It doesn't really shoot full SD resolution, it's 320 x 240 which is lower than the UK DVD resolution of 720 x 576. I had a similar camera to this, it never did shoot good video at the best of times. The stills where ok, for the time, but technology moves forward, we become accustomed to higher quality, BlueRays, HD TV's, 36 mega pixel cameras etc.....

I'm sure you know just because a the camera on my iPhone is classed as HD resolution, it doesn't mean it's going to produce an image as good as either of my "propper cameras". (see my iPhone video) BUT then again I can't make phone calls on my Nikon D800, well not without a special attachment.

BUT having said that content is king so if you have the Kodak camera and catch the President with his pants down you will strike gold with a $5 camera.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    True but it is old tech in an old camera. It doesn't really shoot full SD resolution, it's 320 x 240 which is lower than the UK DVD resolution of 720 x 576.
    Then it's not SD (at least not in the TV/Video sense)
    Tim

That's right. I don't know what you call it, I use the term SD for anything that isn't HD, I guess that's not strictly accurate. It's some sort of low level old computer resolution I suppose. Like when YouTube first came out with it's 120 & 240p sizes.

Hmm... well I recently bought an 8 megapixel smartphone mostly for the camera, and I am finding that my 4 megapixel camera takes some pics in better quality! Imagine that. The video quality is obviously better on the smartphone though. I'm annoyed that the front-facing camera is only like 1 megapixel though, I mean I paid over $100 for this smartphone, you'd think both cameras would be the same megapixels!

LOL @ Midnight Blue's joke

I think it's quite an interesting challenge if anything. I'll definitely have to move to your neck of the woods if you can find Kodak cameras in thrift shops. On the issue of footage quality, you could use Virtualdub and some of its third-party plugins to clean that up. The MSU plugins for sharpening, deblocking and colour correction are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gusruel View Post
    Hmm... well I recently bought an 8 megapixel smartphone mostly for the camera, and I am finding that my 4 megapixel camera takes some pics in better quality! Imagine that.
    When it comes to photos it's not about megapixels anymore. It's about sensor size and lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast