Thread: My Sony Z1E is on its way out, what should I get to replay it?

Default My Sony Z1E is on its way out, what should I get to replay it?

Z1e is like the AK 47 of video camera world everyone around the mid level seems to have 1 or something similar.

Any suggestions what I can get get to replace it? Ideally I would still be able to use the mics from my Z1e with saves spends hundreds on new gear and also something that goes to an SD card rather than tape.

Any ides please?

When you say 'on the way out', that usually translates as tape transport problems?...... if everything else is OK, maybe consider just changing the recording medium, using something like this:

http://www.datavideo.us/datavideo-pr...ield-recorder/

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    When you say 'on the way out', that usually translates as tape transport problems?...... if everything else is OK, maybe consider just changing the recording medium, using something like this:

http://www.datavideo.us/datavideo-pr...ield-recorder/
    Yes t seems that the heads are dirty. I have use a cleaning tape but it seems to be happening more and more now.

Have you use the product you sent the link for ?

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Have you use the product you sent the link for ?
    Not personally ,no . I use it as an example of a solid state recorder that you might like to consider as an option to using tapes with your existing camcorder.

I think there are other options available.... check out the names MCE and Shining Technology, for example.

Understandably, there are fewer recorders of this type now - especially with Firewire inputs - as almost all newer cameras record to solid state media. But there have been some people who find they prefer the features on their current cameras to those offered by an 'equivalent' replacement.

A common complaint, for example, comes from those who find that the 'rolling shutter' that comes as standard with 99% of all CMOS sensor cameras and camcorders produces unacceptable artifacts - especially with footage with lots of motion involved.
    For those folk, retaining their CCD sensor camcorders, and updating 'recording to tape' with a solid state recorder offers the best solution.
    Others just prefer the features on some of the earlier 'prosumer' camcorders to those offered on similarly priced 'repalcements'

There are some reviews of the DN60 I mentioned here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...costumerReview Seems to be a mixed bunch though. There are lots more solid state recorders on that site too, although you do seem to be a bit limited with Firewire input types which, understandably, are not as common as they once were....

Alternatively, you could look at recording directly from the component output to one of the so called 'game' recording devices like this one for example: http://hauppauge.com/site/products/d...vr_rocket.html

You'd need to think about power to keep that kind of device 'portable' (you need 'USB power' ... or a 5V/1A equivalent battery pack). But it would allow to to record from your component output in HD... and it's a lot cheaper than the Firewire unit!....
    Last edited by rogs; 05-21-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    Not personally ,no . I use it as an example of a solid state recorder that you might like to consider as an option to using tapes with your existing camcorder.

I think there are other options available.... check out the names MCE and Shining Technology, for example.

Understandably, there are fewer recorders of this type now - especially with Firewire inputs - as almost all newer cameras record to solid state media. But there have been some people who find they prefer the features on their current cameras to those offered by an 'equivalent' replacement.

A common complaint, for example, comes from those who find that the 'rolling shutter' that comes as standard with 99% of all CMOS sensor cameras and camcorders produces unacceptable artifacts - especially with footage with lots of motion involved.
    For those folk, retaining their CCD sensor camcorders, and updating 'recording to tape' with a solid state recorder offers the best solution.
    Others just prefer the features on some of the earlier 'prosumer' camcorders to those offered on similarly priced 'repalcements'

There are some reviews of the DN60 I mentioned here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...costumerReview Seems to be a mixed bunch though. There are lots more solid state recorders on that site too, although you do seem to be a bit limited with Firewire input types which, understandably, are not as common as they once were....

Alternatively, you could look at recording directly from the component output to one of the so called 'game' recording devices like this one for example: http://hauppauge.com/site/products/d...vr_rocket.html

You'd need to think about power to keep that kind of device 'portable' (you need 'USB power' ... or a 5V/1A equivalent battery pack). But it would allow to to record from your component output in HD... and it's a lot cheaper than the Firewire unit!....
    Ok thanks,I will have to have a closer look at my options.