Thread: Short Horror Film: Drive Safe

Default Short Horror Film: Drive Safe

Hi guys

Here's my first film in over 18 months and my first attempt at a horror film. I'd love to know what you think.

I also blogged about the film-making process on my website:
    http://www.calthomson.com/i-just-com...-in-18-months/
    Cal Thomson | Camera Operator | www.calthomson.com

Looks fantastic, well edited, great sound .... lots of tension but.... for me too much of her panicking, looking around.... and not much of anything else until the very end ... its only 4 minutes but its too long for me.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Nice job guys. The only minor thing I would comment on is the Foley sound used for the iPhone crackle wasn't right. Everything else was fine. You took us on the journey and introduced the scariness well. Good music choice helped to enhanced the scariness.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    .... for me too much of her panicking, looking around.... and not much of anything else until the very end ... its only 4 minutes but its too long for me.
    Thanks a lot. It's so subjective because some people have given feedback saying that she jumps out of the car too quickly. I get what you're saying though

I'm really pleased you liked it though

I liked it. A bit standard horrorish but very well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I liked it. A bit standard horrorish but very well executed.
    I agree that this isn't the most original idea. It was mainly an exercise to get out there and film something. My next horror will blow you out of the water :p

Blog Entries

The audio seemed a bit off at the beginning (it didn't sould like it was being called out from a treet)
    Even with the "thwump" audio FX I failed to sport the ominous character on the first two occasions. Might have been a different story in a dimly lit room.
    I thought the actress did a great job and the shots in the car, close-up, ECU and mirror were very good.
    I found it a bit long for the payoff. Another film along similar lines is Geoff Harmer's "Selfie" (doing festival rounds at the moment, very successfully). Half as long again as this and somewhat similar, it manages to keep building for the whole 6 minutes plus and although the ending is in a similar vein and we've had a longer build up, it manages to have more impact. Look out for it.
    This was (very) well shot and with the exception of the opening line, the audio was great - I do wonder, however, whether the music could have built rather more and this might have heightened suspense.
    But who am I to criticise? If I could get halfway to this standard, I'd be happy (well, I'd probably want to continue to progress).
    Tim

I thought it was good. Very well shot altho some of the edits could be tightened up. What camera do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post
    Thanks a lot. It's so subjective because some people have given feedback saying that she jumps out of the car too quickly. I get what you're saying though

I'm really pleased you liked it though

This came to me through our video club... maybe of some use to you ... (PDF at bottom)

I hope this email finds you well.

I am contacting you from an independent television production company Studio Lambert. We have made programmes including Undercover Boss and the BAFTA award-winning Gogglebox (more information about the company can be found at www.studiolambert.com).

We are currently producing an exciting new competition series for the BBC which searches for the best amateur horror film-makers. The Fear will showcase a selection of 2-4 minute horror films to a cinema audience who will vote for the scariest. The winning film-maker will receive funding towards their next film project.

It would be fantastic if you can help us spread the word by circulating the attached flyer to your followers if possible and anyone that you think might be interested in this opportunity. If you would also like hard copies of the flyer please get in touch and we can post you some. We will have a social media presence next week, so it would be great if you would retweet us or promote the competition somehow after we follow you. Our Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/bbcthefear/

For more information e-mail thefear@studiolambert.com, or feel free to call our hotline on 0203 040 6899 to speak with one of the team if you’d prefer.

The deadline for film submissions is the 24th July 2015.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Rachel.

BBC3 - The Fear - Short Film Competition.pdf
    Last edited by enc; 06-15-2015 at 12:23 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

10. Default

Let me first say, I thought this was awesome. Not the story, I realize this was just an exercise for you. But the video is shot beautifully. The mood and tension you created worked. I was entertained, even though I knew what was going to happen. The nitpicks I have:

• Didn't see the bad guy on the side of the road. I had to rewind and pause the frame to see him.
    • The car coming to a stop @ 1:03 is not believable. Adding a clip Showing the car stopping from outside would have been more effective, before cutting to her bracing herself.
    • The malfunctioning phone was weird. There's gotta be an app that does something better, maybe.
    • Gotta love the IPhone flash light app, always working, no matter what…!

Great job though...!