Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC documentaries

Default BBC documentaries

If you enjoyed The BBC's recent All Aboard The Canal Trip documentary... these may be of interest...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...andmade-3-wood

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ndmade-2-metal

I found it unusual how long they left certain shots to linger ....
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Just watched the metal one. A fantastic little piece and so contrary to what we tend to see nowadays, though I have heard it suggested that stylistically, lengthy cuts and locked of cameras are now replacing fast editing and hand-held.
    I can imagine you'd like this - it reminded me of your opening shots for the Camper Van Man film..
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just watched the metal one. A fantastic little piece and so contrary to what we tend to see nowadays, though I have heard it suggested that stylistically, lengthy cuts and locked of cameras are now replacing fast editing and hand-held.
    I can imagine you'd like this - it reminded me of your opening shots for the Camper Van Man film..
    Wish I had opportunity to shoot the camper van film again

If you get chance have a look at the "wood" episode Tim ... Editing is even more laid back that the metal episode
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

I've just seen the glass episode and, while I like the more relaxed editing, it does seem as though the director/cameraman is a bit up his own backside!
    Yeah, a sharp foreground corner of a bench while there's something interesting going on out-of-focus in the background is okay for one teaser but... After a dozen of such shots I found myself shouting at the screen...
    "Stop trying to be arty and just show me what's bloody going on!"
    It really does seem like it's a case of "Ooooh, narrow depth of field. I've never seen this before, let's use it again, and again, and again...."

So, thumbs up for ignoring the "seven second rule" (No edit should be on the screen for more than seven seconds) but thumbs down for forgetting that a documentary is about the subject, not about the cameraman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    I've just seen the glass episode and, while I like the more relaxed editing, it does seem as though the director/cameraman is a bit up his own backside!
    Yeah, a sharp foreground corner of a bench while there's something interesting going on out-of-focus in the background is okay for one teaser but... After a dozen of such shots I found myself shouting at the screen...
    "Stop trying to be arty and just show me what's bloody going on!"
    It really does seem like it's a case of "Ooooh, narrow depth of field. I've never seen this before, let's use it again, and again, and again...."

So, thumbs up for ignoring the "seven second rule" (No edit should be on the screen for more than seven seconds) but thumbs down for forgetting that a documentary is about the subject, not about the cameraman.
    Well for your TVs sake please don't watch the "metal" episode rob. You'll end up throwing something at the TV ...
    There is one shot where the depth of field is so shallow there must have been a 5mm section in the middle that was actually in focus lol!!
    Interestingly, if you check the credits the DOP is the same but they are edited by a different team.

Regardless, I enjoyed them .. I'll be watching the glass episode later.

Blog Entries

Whilst I'm well renowned for my didlike of the overuse of shallow DoF,it didn't bother me in the metal one. Perhaps I was too well chilled with it being a Sunday evening and all

Or maybe I hadn't shaved for a couple of days
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Wh

Or maybe I hadn't shaved for a couple of days

Having just watched the glass episode ... Have to agree with rob They've gone well over The top with the "art"

For me, the wood episode has been the best of the three.
    Last edited by enc; 05-19-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Just watched the wood one. I enjoyed it. While we are "singing the praises of the BBC. I liked the look of the new Sunday drama "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-english-magic

Sweet, I love documentaries. They are so much better than some of the stuff on TV these days. THIS is what reality tv should be, not a bunch of drama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast