Thread: NOIRE- experimental, dark, action, webseries

Default NOIRE- experimental, dark, action, webseries

We've recently released the pilot episode to a web series we are working on - NOIRE.

We started it as a student project and want to go beyond that. It was ambitious from the start, doing a lot of things we've never tried before (experimental part).
    The director was inspired by the looks of Blade Runner and Drive. Surprisingly, a few very good music artists were willing to collaborate for this.

Please critique and leave your thoughts.
    PS: one thing we've gotten a lot was that the title sequence is long, please bare with it.

Thanks for your time!

NOIRE - Episode 1
    http://youtu.be/j6NJthS30TA
    Last edited by Film Faction; 05-15-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Technically really good ,,, especially sound which i thought was excellent. there are quite a few focus issues throughout... what camera set up are you using ? considering the low light for the most i think you did well.
    acting was pretty good (mostly) fight sequences were very good indeed. thge retro music soundtrack gives it an 80's feel ... is that what you are going for ? though I dont see the Bladerunner connection.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I agree with most of the comments from enc. The sound was clear but it felt a bit off almost as though it was ADR. Not sure the music was right but that might just be a personal taste thing. I liked the visuals apart from the few focus issues. Good camera work and editing in the fight scenes. I'm getting the impression you concentrated on the fighting to the detriment of the story line. Not a great deal happened in 25 minutes. It's not that the pace was slow just not much happened.

Over all I thought you did very well with it and look forward to finding out what is going to happen next.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Technically really good ,,, especially sound which i thought was excellent. there are quite a few focus issues throughout... what camera set up are you using ? considering the low light for the most i think you did well.
    acting was pretty good (mostly) fight sequences were very good indeed. thge retro music soundtrack gives it an 80's feel ... is that what you are going for ? though I dont see the Bladerunner connection.
    I believe it's a Canon Rebel t3i with a variety of lenses that we've gotten access to, a lot that we've never used before. Probably contributed to the focusing problems. We are going for an 80s-ish feel (like Drive's score). The connection to Blade Runner, from what I can tell, would probably be the really colorful and (almost overly) saturated shots, neon colored lights kinda shots, things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I agree with most of the comments from enc. The sound was clear but it felt a bit off almost as though it was ADR. Not sure the music was right but that might just be a personal taste thing. I liked the visuals apart from the few focus issues. Good camera work and editing in the fight scenes. I'm getting the impression you concentrated on the fighting to the detriment of the story line. Not a great deal happened in 25 minutes. It's not that the pace was slow just not much happened.

Over all I thought you did very well with it and look forward to finding out what is going to happen next.
    There were very few ADR parts, otherwise all fully synced audio...not sure what parts you're talking about?
    The music honestly wouldn't had been my first choice. But I think it's the director's way of stylizing the sound. The genre is called 'cyberpunk', a mix of modern electronic sounds and composition that can have a feel of the 80s. It might understandingly work better in a futuristic setting (like Blade Runner), but again, the series has a certain style to it. A Han Zimmer-styled score would also sound good, but I've come to really like the sound of it personally.
    I think fight scenes were intentionally pinpointed, it is an action series. But like I said, it was all very experimental. Now the second episode is much more character driven, storywise. A lot more talking to each other than fighting each other. It's exciting to me to apply the different things we've learned as we continue the project and people will probably see that as the series progresses.
    Last edited by Film Faction; 05-16-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I can only agree with enc & Midnights comments.

With regard to the voices it does sound a bit off. I hear this in (for example) shots where a lav is used and it is so good at picking up only the voice that so much room noise or ambient is excluded that it doesn't sound like it's been recorded in that environment. It is also easy to reproduce this effect by too much cleaning up of the sound in post - particularly using noise reduction software. Try adding back in a bit of top end to give the sound some "air".

The film itself used lighting to good effect and the acting was generally good even if the initial premise was wholly unfeasible (guy wakes up not knowing who or where he is so he goes into the nearest building demanding agressively to the young lady behind the counter she tells him.)
    The second infeasibility - as with most films of this genre - was how totally inept the "baddies" were - especially as the arms dealer was supposedly on heightened security.

Title sequence reminded me of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"
    The opening shot proper was the opening shot from Donnie Darko (one of my favourite opening shots)
    And the parallel to Bourne Identity needs no further comment.
    I had a feeling several lines were straight out of other films as well, but couldn't place them.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I can only agree with enc & Midnights comments.

With regard to the voices it does sound a bit off. I hear this in (for example) shots where a lav is used and it is so good at picking up only the voice that so much room noise or ambient is excluded that it doesn't sound like it's been recorded in that environment. It is also easy to reproduce this effect by too much cleaning up of the sound in post - particularly using noise reduction software. Try adding back in a bit of top end to give the sound some "air".

The film itself used lighting to good effect and the acting was generally good even if the initial premise was wholly unfeasible (guy wakes up not knowing who or where he is so he goes into the nearest building demanding agressively to the young lady behind the counter she tells him.)
    The second infeasibility - as with most films of this genre - was how totally inept the "baddies" were - especially as the arms dealer was supposedly on heightened security.

Title sequence reminded me of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"
    The opening shot proper was the opening shot from Donnie Darko (one of my favourite opening shots)
    And the parallel to Bourne Identity needs no further comment.
    I had a feeling several lines were straight out of other films as well, but couldn't place them.
    No lavs were used, only boom with shotgun microphones. one thing That we lack is an actual "sound guy" (most people on set, including myself, was the first time ever using a TASCAM mixer among other things). What I was taught to do with sound was denoise without getting rid of reverb, then add foley noise. I might've denoised too much. I do see a few points where sound could be a little off, and I want to blame it on Youtubes player, but it'll be something I'll have to double check in the future.

I didn't even think about Bourne haha.

So I should start this by saying I'm relatively easily entertained and not very educated in filming & editing but I did enjoy your pilot very much. I thought it all looked pretty slick after the opening credits, that part seemed difficult to watch (focus issues in my opinion)and highly overused idea, city road shots. Not at all sure what I would have prefered though. Acting was pretty good and the story line was interesting, I can deal with implausible. Im very interested inseeing the next episode, have you finish it yet?
    Rock on!

8. Default

Subscribed

I can only agree with the previous comments. Very nicely done and entertaining!
    But, I also have to agree that the opening sequence is a bit too long, and the idea is quite overused. Instead, I would use shots showing the criminality of the city (like robberies, shootings, etc.) as opening.
    Nice acting and editing! I am looking forward to episode 2!
    Keep it up!
    Last edited by Aljosha Merz; 07-27-2015 at 04:06 AM.