Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions required on my first video

Default Opinions required on my first video

Hi, this is a collab with my gf. She filmed some of the footage. I filmed some, but i did all the editing, compositing, sound, video etc.
    it's my first ever video.
    Just before you watch it, it's a Dream/Nightmare. Not in the standard sense, but it's the closest i could get something to look like what one of my vivid dreams looks like.
    Any opinions?

Thank you so much

I'd appreciate replies here, not on youtube as things are kind of turbulent with me and her at the moment.
    I just want info on the concept i chose, the style, look, sound etc!

Again thank you So much

Very spooky - I enjoyed the feel for sure - held my interest - great job

And yes you exist, FYI

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Very spooky - I enjoyed the feel for sure - held my interest - great job

And yes you exist, FYI
    Aw dude thank you so much.
    Any particular parts that stand out, editing, sound, image wise? im thinking of getting into it as a career, but not sure if i'd be able to compete at my age.

Blog Entries

This felt to me very much like you knew what you wanted for every shot and went for it. There was no random selection of material here. Everything seemed to have a purpose.
    But the film itself - that that have a purpose? As a segment within a larger production showing someone's state of mind it could work well. But on its own?
    What is it's purpose? Who is the target audience? What are you trying to provoke in that audience? Is there a message?

Perhaps you just wanted to get down your dream? If so, fine. But meaningless to anyone else (except perhaps useful for your therapist ) Perhaps that doesn't matter - there is no objective (but obviously you do want people to be interested or you wouldn't have posted it)

This sort of film leaves me very frustrated. I'm rather boringly traditional and I like to feel educated, informed and/or entertained. But with this film I feel none of these. I feel I've either failed to get the message or there is none. I don't mind if I've been ignorant or stupid and need something explaining, but if not - I feel like I've been cheated out of a few minutes.

Just so there's no misunderstanding - I think you've done a great job - but what am I meant to get out of it?
    Tim

Very Dark ! i assume its meant to be some kind of dream/nightmare !
    very well put together... music and video complement each other perfectly. what is the music BTW ?

...would go down well with the oldies at my video club

Nice work !
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This felt to me very much like you knew what you wanted for every shot and went for it. There was no random selection of material here. Everything seemed to have a purpose.
    But the film itself - that that have a purpose? As a segment within a larger production showing someone's state of mind it could work well. But on its own?
    What is it's purpose? Who is the target audience? What are you trying to provoke in that audience? Is there a message?

Perhaps you just wanted to get down your dream? If so, fine. But meaningless to anyone else (except perhaps useful for your therapist ) Perhaps that doesn't matter - there is no objective (but obviously you do want people to be interested or you wouldn't have posted it)

This sort of film leaves me very frustrated. I'm rather boringly traditional and I like to feel educated, informed and/or entertained. But with this film I feel none of these. I feel I've either failed to get the message or there is none. I don't mind if I've been ignorant or stupid and need something explaining, but if not - I feel like I've been cheated out of a few minutes.

Just so there's no misunderstanding - I think you've done a great job - but what am I meant to get out of it?
    Thanks so much for the feedback. The Theme is in the Title, A Devil.. An Angel.. and a Crone.
    Basically you can interpret these 3 entities as you like throughout my video., it's not part of a larger video, it's a single piece, representing the closest thing i can create that represents a dream i once had, and then kept having.
    My dreams skip, like a person i know in real life.. can be talking to me in my dream (although i don't recall anyone ever actually saying anything in a dream of mine, maybe they're silent). And i could be with this person, or they could be present, and then the next second, there's a different person, sometimes even someone i don't recognize, but my brain thinks it's still the same person im familiar with. If that makes sense.
    We have an Angel, Which is this innocent doll, but she also represents the devil (lying facedown in the water, coming alive near the end and running) but then she's also being harrassed by the crone, who you see in the dream, who sits with her.. while she's sitting with her, the doll acts like a doll, not the Angel or the Devil.
    She's afraid of the Crone. As you can see her running from her, and you can see her being caught by the crone and being dragged violently through reeds etc while you can clearly see she's concious and blinking.

The words over the top about God, are an overtone i added saying, saying no matter what you do, what you've done, what you hide away in your own mind that noone knows.. he knows.. and it's him who has to judge you.

The Crone who is sitting hooded next to the Angel (who also catches and starts dragging her) (to hell? thats up to you). Is also represented by the woman talking normally, but she get's warped and becomes this other evil person. (The whole thing i think it's sick).

The trees and the lake were symbols of her final destination. She wasn't going to make it, even though she tried to evade her past (this is the doll/angel) now from the start we start seeing premanision of her end. The rocks look like a body in the river.. and in one case, it's vice versa.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Very Dark ! i assume its meant to be some kind of dream/nightmare !
    very well put together... music and video complement each other perfectly. what is the music BTW ?

...would go down well with the oldies at my video club

Nice work !
    i there, again thank you for replying, means alot to be being LITERALLY my first ever piece of art work. (If i could be to terse in calling such).
    The explanation to the video is in the reply above, i didn't like having to explain my vision and concept, but as it's my first ever video, i felt i had to to clear some things up.

Anyway, im delighted you think it's spooky. You're correct about the dream/nightmare. I'ts a copy of a dream i've had many times. I've seen SO many movies etc trying to do dreams and I've always been "my dreams ain't like that.... my dreams are all over the place, people people i know in my dreams change into different people, but i still recognize them as the same person, there's never any clear backgrounds etc, jumping, all over te place).

The music i chose was from a Radiohead song called "Everything in it's right place". I literally DL'd the whole song, snapped the first bar from it and spent 20 mins trying to make a clean loop of it). And the end part is also Radiohead ( i don't like them, but i couldn't get this sound out of my head). That one's called Kid A. And it's also just a snippet looped.

Anything in particular that stood out for you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hotman View Post
    Hope that helps.
    Wow. Yes it does, but how am I meant to know any of that? What I'm getting at is I need already to be inside your mind in order to put that interpretation on it (which is why I thought it might work well as part of a longer piece).
    One thing I didn't understand in your explanation - you talk of the doll lying down in the water - then coming alive and running away - where is that?? I don't see it!
    Then I'm afraid there's one part that suggests to me the total opposite of what you were trying to suggest - "she's also being harrassed by the crone" The shots of the doll and the crone to me looked like they were consoling each other or enjoying each other's company or just happy to chill out together - not at all like the doll was being harassed.
    You'll note that again I am questioning this on a conceptual basis rather than the (technical) execution, which again I think was top notch.

I'd be interested if anyone else had an interpretation similar to what Hotman was trying to get across.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Wow. Yes it does, but how am I meant to know any of that? What I'm getting at is I need already to be inside your mind in order to put that interpretation on it (which is why I thought it might work well as part of a longer piece).
    One thing I didn't understand in your explanation - you talk of the doll lying down in the water - then coming alive and running away - where is that?? I don't see it!
    Then I'm afraid there's one part that suggests to me the total opposite of what you were trying to suggest - "she's also being harrassed by the crone" The shots of the doll and the crone to me looked like they were consoling each other or enjoying each other's company or just happy to chill out together - not at all like the doll was being harassed.
    You'll note that again I am questioning this on a conceptual basis rather than the (technical) execution, which again I think was top notch.

I'd be interested if anyone else had an interpretation similar to what Hotman was trying to get across.
    i interpreted it as the fact that Hotman's girffriend wants a baby sooner than later and this sentiment is embodied in the doll being a cast member

10. Default

Style reminded me a lot of David Lynch's Eraserhead (couldn't find a link to the film but here is the trailer:

Good job very retro feel which I like!
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast