Thread: Sound lag

Default Sound lag

Hi,
    I'm a noobie with a doobie and a big problem figuring out how to resolve a big problem. Using Win X DVD Platinum to change a bunch of movies with various video formats to MPEG 4 or AVI to store on a new stand alone 4 terabite hard drive I bought just for this purpose. The problem I keep running into is the sound either lagging behind or in some cases the movie switching from English to some other language at some point along the way during playback. I have no experience in this stuff and have just been clicking on everything in the software and reading trying to find a resolve but so far haven't found anything useful in the options so I figure this must require a bit more experience than I currently have. Would deeply appreciate any suggestions anyone could kindly flip my way.

Thank You Muchly in advance
    John Dill

I am a semi-noobie (without a doobie) and would like to join in on the question. I run MKVs and MP4s from a hard-drive or a media center to my smartTV. I'm looking for a software that would fix audio sync problems- i.e. shift audio by 200ms, etc.

These are videos that run OK on the PC itself but get out-of-sync on the TV. The TV itself doesn't have an option to shift audio.

Please do not mention Avidemux to me (nor to Johnny Dill here). I've found it to be crashy, inconsistent and unpredictable and I'm looking for something that actually works. Thanks alot.

Since no one is answering I'll answer my own question... I found MKVMerge to work perfectly and quickly to fix audio sync and shift audio. See here:

http://www.hecticgeek.com/2013/11/fi...lc-mkvtoolnix/

John, Why are you converting videos in the first place? What's wrong with their original format?
    Where are you viewing these movies? If it's on a PC you can shift the audio track in the Video Player itself while running. No need to shift and re-save the file. For instance, VLC media player has this option, to just run the video with a slight audio shift.

About the language changing in mid-movie: Many movies have several audio tracks. Probably something is wrong with the conversion causing the problem. how are you converting? What app?

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    Since no one is answering I'll answer my own question... I found MKVMerge to work perfectly and quickly to fix audio sync and shift audio. See here:

http://www.hecticgeek.com/2013/11/fi...lc-mkvtoolnix/

John, Why are you converting videos in the first place? What's wrong with their original format?
    Where are you viewing these movies? If it's on a PC you can shift the audio track in the Video Player itself while running. No need to shift and re-save the file. For instance, VLC media player has this option, to just run the video with a slight audio shift.

About the language changing in mid-movie: Many movies have several audio tracks. Probably something is wrong with the conversion causing the problem. how are you converting? What app?
    Hi Indigo,
    Thanks for the response. I'm simply a movie collector and only watch movies on my laptop when I have the time. I also shag most of them in downloads called torrent files so some of my sound problems may be associated with the quality of the files downloaded, however I have found the vast majority of them to be quality files so I am also beginning to suspect my laptop needing an upgrade in the memory department also. However, I do have the MKV Toolnix software so I am looking into that option as a work around. Thank you again for your welcome response.