Thread: How much to charge for job?

Default How much to charge for job?

Morning all

I am not a professional by any means but over the past 12 months people have deemed my work good enough for me to charge for a couple of editing wedding videos and I am enjoying the extra income. I have now been asked by a friend to do a corporate gig. It is for a husband of a friend so there is an element of 'mates rates' involved so I am just wondering what to charge for the job.

It is a one day deal, film, shoot, edit and finish on one day. It is to produce a promo piece for a hair salon. no talking, just music and some shots of people hair dressing, colouring etc as well as shots of the building and the people.I have a 2-3 window to do the filming ( as well as travelling 40 mile round trip to location) and then back home to offload footage and edit together to create and deliver a 4 minutes piece all in the one day.

I was thinking 250 all in, thats inlcluding my expenses as well as mates rates, should i charge more or less???

Lots of people shoot for less, lots of people shoot for more. There is no right or wrong answer.

Charge what you're happy and what the client will pay based on how you value your time / equipment and the quality of video you produce. Nothing else matters.

We all have our own way of doing things, value our time and investment in equipment differently.

3. Default

Just a word of caution (take it or leave it), get some public liability insurance to cover you if someone falls over your equipment etc and factor that into costs. If you charge anything then you are liable for a claim and PL doesn't cost that much even if you are only doing a handful of paid jobs a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Cat Media View Post
    Just a word of caution (take it or leave it), get some public liability insurance to cover you if someone falls over your equipment etc and factor that into costs. If you charge anything then you are liable for a claim and PL doesn't cost that much even if you are only doing a handful of paid jobs a year.
    Very good advice. I take it for granted that we have 5M PL and I suppose I assume everyone knows they need it, but I guess they don't....

I only have 1 million but that should be enough unless you kill a few people. If you are happy to charge 250 and the client is happy to pay it then it sounds about right although it is cheap for a pro shoot. I wouldn't do it for that.

One thing does concern me about this, Why the hurry ? Why do they need it edited and in their hands by the end of the day. Take your time and do a good job with the editing.

Lastly, don't use commercial music that breaches copyright, you will be nicked for it, there is plenty of very cheap royalty free music.

Good luck.