Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning DVDs

Blog Entries

Default Burning DVDs

An observation.
    I have to burn several copies of a DVD but not enough to make it worth sending away for duplication. i use Sony DVD Architect to author my DVDs but have been aware that simply using that to burn repeats is not necessarily the best way to go about it.
    So I created an ISO from my first DVD using Ashampoo Burning Studio 14.
    I then burned that image to a DVD (Taiyo Yuden Watershield 16x) using Nero 12 and it took 2-3 minutes
    I then burned the same image to another identical DVD using Ashampoo 14 and it took more than 8 minutes!
    Burning the already prepared project (so it's not an ISO, just the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS structures complete) in DVDA comes in somewhere between the two.

A surprising difference, I think. Anyone had similar experiences?
    Tim

its rare i burn any of my own stuff to DVD... usually i leave it festering, clogging up my hard drioves : -(

but thanks for tyhe heads up tim
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I'm like enc, I don't often burn DVDs The last time a did one it was from a master project file on the computer and I think it took about 5mins. It was jam packed full. I have noticed you have to make sure your setting are correct in your project. One slight change in the bit rate or what ever can cause an un needed re-render adding time to the process. If you were simply copying an ISO I don't known what could cause it to complete it in different times. May be you computer was feeling tiered that day.

Blog Entries

These are copies of the club's films made over the year for distribution among the members - though I still regularly burn DVDs for showing on the TV and distributing to family etc. and for festivals/club showing. TV is too far away from the router for reliable wireless streaming from the PC.

I'm not complaining about the time it's taking - just surprised about the different amount of time it takes Ashampoo and Nero to burn the same image (the DVDA timing was only put in for comparison).
    Tim

Have you tried burning your DVD A Pro prepared project to DVD using ImgBurn (use v 2.5.7) in Build Mode (Output = Device) as advised in burn a video ts folder or multiple copies?
    I haven't used those two apps mentioned for burning, so I can't compare timings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Have you tried burning your DVD A Pro prepared project to DVD using ImgBurn (use v 2.5.7) in Build Mode (Output = Device) as advised in burn a video ts folder or multiple copies?
    Nope but thanks for the links. They're not quite the same. The first article links to just burning the VIDEO_TS folder (is that all that is required?) whilst the second a "like for like" in that it is burning an ISO. I will definitely give this a try (as soon as some more blanks arrive) and report back. I like ImgBurn a lot - I've just never needed to use it on my own PC and didn't think of it.
    Tim

You're stretching my memory now, since it's about 6 years since I stopped programming this stuff, but I wrote the software for robotic disc duplicators as a living for about 20 years. As I recall there were two major things that effected how fast things wrote. The first was the record speed, so I'm assuming if you have the ability to set the record speed you have them set to the same (sorry I don't have your software so I don't know). The other was how the disc was written in terms of sessions. One way allows a disc to be appended to and the other finalises a disc so it can't be appended to.

Multi-session was much more common on CDs and almost never used on DVDs (for very good reason!). If the software is using different methods it could have a large effect based on how the lead-in and lead-out sections are being written on the disc. If you have a progress bar that is moving at different speeds then the chances are they are using a different write speed instead.

Different drive manufactures optimised their command sets differently, which was a total nightmare. It could be the the software isn't using an optimised command for your given drive, so it's taking longer than another drive that it could be optimised for.

In the end, looking at the global meaning of life, I really wouldn't worry too much, as long as the DVDs play!

....and yes VIDEO_TS is the only folder that's really needed unless you're shipping DVD audio only.

Tim, actually the following link may be clearer re ImgBurn.
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/dvd...-using-imgburn
    So you really only need to use Build Mode (Output=Device), that's "Write files/folders to disc", to burn a DVD-video from a DVD A Pro prepared folder.
    IF you chose in DVD A Pro to Burn > Device ISO Image Writer, you "Write image file to disc" (Write Mode).
    If you did not choose the above and need an iso on HDD, you use Build Mode (Output=Image File), that's "Create image file from files/folders".
    You use Read Mode to "Create image file from disc".

Btw, the screenshots 2 and 3 in the second link are in fact from Build Mode (Output=Device).

Blog Entries

David, I should perhaps have made clear that these are DVD video DVDs. So there's no multisession stuff going on. I can set the burn speed (and did) to 16x (or 22,000 whatever it's measured in) and I saw (and can reproduce) this difference.

vkmast, I see no option to burn an ISO from DVDA Pro (v 6.0)? From Make DVD | Burn the options are Current Project, Previously prepared folder and previously mastered folder (with an advanced button leading the the "smart prepare" option. Whare a
    Not that I'd want to as the first thing I'd want to do after creating an ISO would be to burn a DVD in order to test, so unless I was going to use the ISO to burn multiple copies I'd never use that facility.

I've regularly used ImgBurn to create ISOs (usually for software - work related), but on this machine as I have Ashampoo installed I used that.

This evening I used the method described above for ImgBurn to create a DVD from the VIDEO_TS folder only in Build Mode and it certainly produced a usable disk. Faster than Ashampoo's burn of the ISO, but not as fast as Nero. This was not a 100% true test though as the DVDs, although same manufacturer and same speed were not exactly the same - I'll have a play when I receive my delivery.

At least this adds some minor interest to the tedium that is copying discs
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast