Thread: Need helping clearing green shadow leftover after green keying

1. Default Need helping clearing green shadow leftover after green keying

Greetings,
    I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 to edit video. Can someone tell me how to clear away the fine green shadow surrounding my body?

In order to get the sharpest image, I applied green key and 8 point garbage matte to the original mp4 from my phone, but I can't figure out which settings to change or effects to apply to get rid of this shadow/outline.

I've attached two snapshots from the timeline - one jpg in case the gif is blurry. I tried playing with the settings within the green key effect but nothing seemed to make a difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Antoinette
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by antoinette; 05-05-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: for demo reel

I'm going to assume that you've tried selecting the pixels you're trying to key in the keyer itself and nothing happens? Shooting green screen on an iPhone is no problem as long as you're well lit. If the lighting is not so good then any 4:2:0 video is going to be a problem.

I don't have elements, so I'm not sure which keyer it's using, but I have used Premiere Pro and several of it's keyers over the years. Look for a control that can shrink/refine the mask to pull in the green area but be careful not to shrink in so much that you start losing parts of your head. You could also try to blur the mask a little and then shrink some more so that it's better feathering the edges of your clothing without leaving the green.

Another method is to add another keyer layer and have it select only those additional areas that need keying. Once you have this it may be that the computer struggles to play so you may need to render out and re-import a pre-keyed clip in order to play. Don't forget to use a codec that supports transparency if you do that!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    I'm going to assume that you've tried selecting the pixels you're trying to key in the keyer itself and nothing happens? Shooting green screen on an iPhone is no problem as long as you're well lit. If the lighting is not so good then any 4:2:0 video is going to be a problem.

I don't have elements, so I'm not sure which keyer it's using, but I have used Premiere Pro and several of it's keyers over the years. Look for a control that can shrink/refine the mask to pull in the green area but be careful not to shrink in so much that you start losing parts of your head. You could also try to blur the mask a little and then shrink some more so that it's better feathering the edges of your clothing without leaving the green.

Another method is to add another keyer layer and have it select only those additional areas that need keying. Once you have this it may be that the computer struggles to play so you may need to render out and re-import a pre-keyed clip in order to play. Don't forget to use a codec that supports transparency if you do that!
    Thanks for the suggestions @David Partington. If PE 11 has a way to select pixels in the keyer or blur or shrink the mask, I don't know how it's done. I don't even see such a control on that effect. See attached pic. If anyone knows how, please advise.

I tried adding another layer of green key on top but it didn't make a difference. For sure I will light my background to get rid of shadows on the next shoot, but other than that, I'm stuck like Chuck :( I've attached a screenshot of the controls in the green key so you can see my options.
    Again, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by antoinette View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions @David Partington. If PE 11 has a way to select pixels in the keyer or blur or shrink the mask, I don't know how it's done. I don't even see such a control on that effect. See attached pic. If anyone knows how, please advise.

I tried adding another layer of green key on top but it didn't make a difference. For sure I will light my background to get rid of shadows on the next shoot, but other than that, I'm stuck like Chuck :( I've attached a screenshot of the controls in the green key so you can see my options.
    Again, thanks.
    UPDATE: I found a Chroma Key that allows me to select the color I want to remove; that worked. It's not great but it's better. And I found a Keying thread here in the forum that gave tips for keying and now I see exactly what I did wrong during the shooting process to create that shadow and the greenish cast on myself: I did not backlight and I stood too close to the background. Problem solved....I think

Ouch, I guess elements is very limited in green screen capability :( It either works or doesn't with not much wiggle room. Don't know how to help you further without resorting to either re-shooting with better lighting or using other software.