Thread: La cathedrale (testing my A7s)

1. Default La cathedrale (testing my A7s)

Hi

This is a short (1.18 mins) video I made as part of "getting to know my Sony A7s". It's based around Debussy's La Cathedrale (a great piece of music about a sunken cathedral that raises from the sea).

Blog Entries

Looking good. Being picky the shot following the lad walking (0:0 seemed to be focused on the back of his hood and thus his hair, which acts as great orange against the teal, is a a bit soft in that shot. And the shot following, of the sea, was that all in camera or did you fake some of the focus in post? The shallow DoF there looked rather overdone to me.
    FX wise, I'd have liked to have seen some water pouring from the cathedral as it rises, but I'm guessing that'd be rather tricky to get right.
    But as I say, picky
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks Tim

No faux DOF used but 2.8 on full frame with a 200mm lens does give a small slice of focus. My thinking was I didn't want to imply it was really happening but hint it was more in the boys imagination - but point taken. The annoying things is that I do have water falling off the cathedral which shows on the uncompressed version but once Youtube does its thing, its gone! I will try and increase the effect and see what happens.
    Cheers
    Rob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Cat Media View Post
    The annoying things is that I do have water falling off the cathedral which shows on the uncompressed version but once Youtube does its thing, its gone!
    I looked really hard for it to make sure I wasn't putting my foot in it. I wouldn't try increasing it - it will probably look horrible after YT's done it's stuff.
    Tim

5. Default

Tried increasing the size, flow of water droplets and posted the Vimeo version: