Thread: Disney Villains & "Gravity"

Default Disney Villains & "Gravity"

My latest video, with all the Disney Villains who fall to their death/defeat, set to "Gravity." I'd appreciate any feedback on the cutting & pacing!

I like it. Really clever idea and well implemented.

I can think of two things that might make it even better, if you feel like going back and tweaking.

1. Lining up impacts with the snare hits in the song. That is to say, making sure that when someone gets punched, kicked or hits bottom, that it lines up with a snare hit. That said, it might be wise not to overdo that effect.

2. The other thought I have, and this would involve completely reworking the whole vid: instead of just doing the death scenes sequentially, you could show the first part of each of a few, then cut back to clips you've already "set up" and show the actual death. That's a hell of a lot of work to go back and do, and I'm not sure it would look good or not, but it's a thought.

That said, I think it's great and it does a fantastic job of accomplishing what you set out to do with it.

Thanks so much for watching and for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by snapicus View Post
    1. Lining up impacts with the snare hits in the song. That is to say, making sure that when someone gets punched, kicked or hits bottom, that it lines up with a snare hit. That said, it might be wise not to overdo that effect.
    Yep, I tried to do this as much as possible. One of the things that makes this tricky is that the song just has SO MANY snare hits that's it's pretty much impossible to match all or even most of them, because there would be no time left to develop anything else. I kind of organized the cuts with a hierarchy:

1) the first being that every "gravity" or "down" was matched to someone falling,

2) then that the lyrics were fitting to who was getting offed at the moment (e.g., the line about Hades and "stay the hell away from me," and the hero also getting dragged down with "taken better men than me"),

3) after that that impacts were matched to snares whenever possible (although some couldn't match both--like Hans getting punched matched the snare exactly, but with that there wasn't a strong beat at the right time to match the splash),

4) and then from there I tried to match sudden moves to the snares and then failing that I tried to put scene cuts at the snares.

Then, there were some scenes that did not match the snares no matter what I did to them--the sword hitting when Clayton gets hanged, and Mother Gothel's cloak being the two chief offenders, that I moved them back and forward in every possible 0.01-second increment and absolutely nothing looked right! I was trying to match them by combining the right frame to where the audio spectrum has a local maximum (I'm working in iMovie, btw). Do you have any other suggestions for getting the best possible match?

2. The other thought I have, and this would involve completely reworking the whole vid: instead of just doing the death scenes sequentially, you could show the first part of each of a few, then cut back to clips you've already "set up" and show the actual death. That's a hell of a lot of work to go back and do, and I'm not sure it would look good or not, but it's a thought.
    I think this has potential, but the only thing I'd worry about is that most viewers might not be able to follow the setup and payoff between eighteen different death scenes. Another particular issue in Disney videos is that since there is such an over-saturation of videos with randomly-selected clips set to random songs, if you have a point you're trying to make it needs to be fairly straightforward, or most viewers will just assume your clips are random, rather than being intricately structured.

Thanks again for watching!