Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 105% speed video jumps frames on output

Default 105% speed video jumps frames on output

I am having problems outputting a clean video in Adobe Premiere. I have tried 3.0 and 7.1 versions of the software.

I have a sequence already compiled as MOV files. A section needs to be speeded up in my sequence, so I have it playing at 105% speed.

With no frame blending I get this jumpy result.

With just frame blending in AP I get an annoying blur.

If I do the process in AfterEffects and use frame pixel blending things look better BUT I get these weird artefacts and glitches.

I have tried a bunch of different export settings, but nothing seems to change the problem.

Your AE link doesn't work, but I can see the other two.

Frame blending is old technology and really only works for very fast moving objects that would naturally have significant motion blur. I totally avoid it.

If you have after effects I would try timewarp instead of frame blending. It analyses every frame and creates vectors that you can use to control the quality of the output.

However, no speed program is totally without artefacts for things that come in from the edge of the frame since the algorithms don't appear to be bi-direcitonal (looking forwards and backwards) and you may still see the odd glitch.

Whenever you ask software to magically generate new frames you're relying on systems that don't really understand what the image is, what is foreground, background etc and it's having to figure out any paralax on it's own. It's not yet a perfected art, though it's getting better.

The other well known software for this type of work is Twixtor, though I'm not sure what is available without buying it anymore. After Effects Timewarp or Apple Optical Flow have usually got me what I need.
    Last edited by David Partington; 04-25-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Your AE link doesn't work, but I can see the other two.
    Thanks. I have tried EVERYTHING and stil getting many failures. This is what AfterEffects does to my video. The weird glitches appear whether I render out on a PC or a MAC and I have tried many codecs etc:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tetyczvkn8...blend.mov?dl=0

This is driving me crazy, because the pixel blending on this clip is great, but any time strecthing (or in the this speeding up to 105%) causes these artifacts.

What the h*ck is happening? And how to solve this?

Hmmm..... no idea what's going on there!

Does your version of After Effects have timewarp?

If not, out of interest, if you upload the full speed version so I can grab it I'll try it through timewarp for you and see how well it does.

Thanks, but I already tried timewarp. I tried time stretch, and time remapping. All of them produce this. I have tried with MOV inputs, and I have also tried with all the original frames as inputs. I have tried on a PC and a MAC.

The original is a few mins long and encoded at about 3gb. I hope this isn't too huge (the clip you have seen so far starts a few seconds in - I am trying to speed this to 105%)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix3kk0vedi...dated.mov?dl=0

Thanks
    Last edited by therourke; 04-25-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Downloading it now - but it's going to take about 4 hours since the server seems to be throttling it. I'll let you know what I find, assuming it fully downloads.

A couple of questions while it's downloading....

The full video is extremely complex, so I think getting this to be perfect in any method is going to be extremely hard. It looks like there is flashing in the sky area on the regular video playback. Is that right? That in itself will cause problems unless you can mask it.

Next, this is clearly a 3D render from something. I take it you don't have the original render source? If so, why not just re-render at 105%?

Lastly, why exactly do you need such a long and complex piece to run at 105%? Why not just trim the start / finish by 5% ?

Downloading it now - but it's going to take about 4 hours since the server seems to be throttling it. I'll let you know what I find, assuming it fully downloads.
    Wow. Thank you. I hope it works. Let me know if you have problems and I can try and create a smaller edit

Sorry. Just saw these questions.

The flashing in the sky is some kind of glitch caused in Maya. We liked it and decided to keep it, but it is a glitch.

In retrospect we should have rendered at 105% but now we can't and have no way to get a 1080p render done again. The whole section would need re-doing on a server farm. We had a budget and have used it up. The video you are downloading is one of four videos that sit side by side in the final edit. The glitches show up in one other video, but are most prominent in this one.

We originally had this video done and edited at 540p. At that speed the 105% didn't cause any problems in Adobe Premiere. Once we did a 1080p render the 105% section looked either jumpy or blurry depending on whether we used frame blending. So then I turned to After Effects to change the speed and got the glitches. There is no way to do this any other way now since our soundtrack is synced already to the 105% video. Hence why I tried going back to the original frames. If we have to compromise on a blurry frame blended version we will, but really really want to avoid that if possible.

Again. Thanks for your time. It is really appreciated.

OK, here's an alternative render. There are 4 frames I'm still not happy with (00:09:10 to 00:09:14) but I think these could be fixed other ways if they still bother you. They go by so quickly that unless you were looking for them you probably wouldn't notice.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0...ew?usp=sharing

The easiest way to fix the problem frames would be to cut the speeded up video just before and just after and re-insert the original (normal speed) frames. I really don't think anyone would notice the speed change since it's so subtle and over such a short time.
    Wow thank you. How did you achieve this? Would it be easy for me to replicate? Perhaps you could send me your After Effects file for this and I can try and repeat for the other, less glitchy but still glitchy, videos?

I am coming around to the realisation that this is never going to be perfect. But any techniques you used here would be great to know about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast