Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cozumel, Mexico

Default Cozumel, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico.

Short video shot in 4K with a DJI Inspire.

I don't know if I accomplished the "have a story" advice I had received here but for me at least I just wanted to share the awesomeness of the place, the crystal clear water etc, and the "hope" that goes along with having a place like this to remember and go back to. (Especially after getting TEN FEET of snow this winter in Boston)

Hence the song selection ("Hope" by Tony Anderson) from The Music Bed. The Music Bed has some great music but wow, is it expensive. $199 for this one song for non-commercial web video use.

I figured it was a vacation piece and it fit so well, though, I'd splurge.

Feedback welcome.

http://youtu.be/XF5e6exfXC8
    Last edited by dcooper2025; 04-20-2015 at 02:41 AM. Reason: added commentary

Quote Originally Posted by dcooper2025 View Post

The Music Bed has some great music but wow, is it expensive. $199 for this one song for non-commercial web video use.

http://youtu.be/XF5e6exfXC8
    OMG 199 for web use? gotta wonder what the artist makes from that ? im all for musicians making money for their work but that seems a bit of a piss take ?

do yourself a favour have a look here ....

https://freemusicarchive.org/music/kevin_macleod/

onto your video .... looks an amazing place and some nice shots but its all a bit repetitive... would have been good to get a few more 'on land' shots in.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Acknowledged on the need for more variation and land shots.

DJI is coming out with a handheld gimbal for this camera this Q. Hoping to add that to my on site toolkit.

Blog Entries

Lovely shots. In terms of structure it did rather seem to keep coming back to the lighthouse which gives a feeling of covering the same ground over and over.
    I'd also suggest applying the 180 degree rule. There is a series of shots (cut at around 35s and 37s) where we have the sea on the right, cut to the sea on the left, cut to the sea on the right again. In effect the land and sea switch places. You are travelling, so reversing sides means you've suddenly turned around and are travelling in the other direction. This can be avoided either by making sure shots either side of a cut have the sea on the same side or by inserting a "neutral" shot in between (you have a shot looking straight down at the sea/beach which would work nicely, or a shot out to sea. Alternatively a neutral cutaway of a detail would work)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcooper2025 View Post
    $199 for this one song for non-commercial web video use.
    That's odd, Im seeing $79 for non-profit use.

Default Cozumel, Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    That's odd, Im seeing $79 for non-profit use.
    I'm not a non-profit tho. Non-commercial license for web is the license that applied here.
    Last edited by dcooper2025; 04-20-2015 at 02:39 AM. Reason: edited

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Lovely shots. In terms of structure it did rather seem to keep coming back to the lighthouse which gives a feeling of covering the same ground over and over.
    I'd also suggest applying the 180 degree rule. There is a series of shots (cut at around 35s and 37s) where we have the sea on the right, cut to the sea on the left, cut to the sea on the right again. In effect the land and sea switch places. You are travelling, so reversing sides means you've suddenly turned around and are travelling in the other direction. This can be avoided either by making sure shots either side of a cut have the sea on the same side or by inserting a "neutral" shot in between (you have a shot looking straight down at the sea/beach which would work nicely, or a shot out to sea. Alternatively a neutral cutaway of a detail would work)
    Gotcha. Thanks, great advice.

Try to add some non-drone shots. A story could have been made e.g. this way:

- Close up of putting stuff into car
    - Car driving away from camera
    - Drone shot of arrival at light house
    - Shots of climbing the lighthouse
    - Areal drone shots
    - Probably some close-up shots of waves on the beach
    - Closing shot of sunset with camp fire

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Try to add some non-drone shots. A story could have been made e.g. this way:

- Close up of putting stuff into car
    - Car driving away from camera
    - Drone shot of arrival at light house
    - Shots of climbing the lighthouse
    - Areal drone shots
    - Probably some close-up shots of waves on the beach
    - Closing shot of sunset with camp fire

Roger that. Thanks!

Blog Entries

As a complete aside to your video (apologies), I was thoroughly confused by the pricing structure applied by the Music Bed, so I dropped them an email. this was the response:

Awesome, it sounds like this will either be a $49 Wedding & Portrait license or a $199 Business/corporate Streaming license. Here is the way we decipher between the two:Does this video involve ANY brand promotion/placement at all? (this includes personal brand promotion)
    Is this video being created with the intention of gaining clients?
    Are you being paid for this project in any way including reimbursement?

If the answer is no then you will be good to go with the $49 license!
    If you answer yes to any of these then you will need the Business/corporate license.

Let me know if you have questions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast