Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bells Video at last (20 mins)

Blog Entries

Default The Bells Video at last (20 mins)

I present "A Joy to Ring" - a documentary about the replacement of the bell frame in a local church with a new steel one.

This was mostly filmed in 2010/11 (all on a Panasonic NV-GS400 MiniDV camera with no additional lighting) and some of you have seen bits and kindly offered help and advice. The final film, really targeted at the volunteers and parishioners, runs for 27 mins and the Church is selling copies (I'm not - it's strictly amateur) with profits going towards rebuilding a sister church destroyed in the New Zealand tsunami.

This version is aimed at a more general audience and I hope it works. Quite a lot of what was removed was thanking every Tom, Dick and Harriet involved in the project - meaningful to the locals but not beyond that. It was shown earlier today at BIAFF (where it was the first documentary of mine to receive four stars) but sadly I couldn't be there to see the reaction as I was watching/filming my daughter in a dance festival.

It's flawed but I'm quite proud of it. As usual, comments are welcome.

Let me just reiterate - it's 20 mins long so it's a big ask for anyone to watch it all the way through.

Last edited by TimStannard; 04-18-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Brilliant Tim. A pleasure to watch from start to finish.

One request. Please can we have a follow up video on the bell ringers themselves? I'm intrigued to know more about them...

Excellent ! no problem whats so ever watching the full 20 minutes. within a couple of minutes i forgot about watching it to offer critique so obviously an engaging video.

i watched a second time and there are one or two small issues but nothing a casual observer will pick up on.

very nice work...worth the (4 year) wait
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Words like those don't come easily from you two (at east not directed at the "old hands" here) and I'm delighted you both received it so positively. You have my gratitude for both watching and enjoying it.
    Marc - I too was intrigued by the bell ringers but actually they're no more interesting than anyone else with a hobby or club. I'm not even sure they're all religious. So it would really be a bit like making a film about people who post on video editing forums!
    Enc - if you want to mention the flaws - either here or by PM, feel free. Just in case it's something I've missed. No obligation though.

My daughter gets married at that church in August (she's not a churchgoer and neither am I, but she lives next door and it was our "family church" in that my parents both went, my father was choirmaster for 25 years and my sisters and I were therefore forced to sing there as children) but I had a nice surprise this week when Hilary (in the film) told me they would ring for free at the wedding. That's the sort of thanks that I really appreciate.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    they're no more interesting than anyone else with a hobby or club.
    But they ring great big bloody bells Tim. What makes people think, "I fancy a bit of that", particularly if they're not church goers. It sure isn't the money, and I'm sure they don't love the tunes they play. I reckon there's a five minute feature there Tim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    But they ring great big bloody bells Tim. What makes people think, "I fancy a bit of that", particularly if they're not church goers. It sure isn't the money, and I'm sure they don't love the tunes they play. I reckon there's a five minute feature there Tim.
    Point taken. Mind you if I wanted to make that film I'd rather do it in a tower more conducive to filming. There are plenty around that aren't nearly as cramped in the ringers gallery or belfry. (And I'd have to have them in action - I'm not making a film of just head shots after what I've said about those in the past!
    Tim

Nice one Tim. An engaging piece and an important historical record for the future. Not really anything to crit. Only minor over exposure on a couple of shots that sort of thing. Hardly worth mentioning really as the important part, the content was done so well. So very interesting little facts such as the graffiti, York Minster has a very old tradition that anyone who rings "Big Peter" by hand (it's normally done with a machine) has to make his mark in the tower. My wife is one of the lucky few who has done this she therefore scribbled her name for posterity in the bell tower. It's the sort of bell that lifts you up off the floor when ringing it. She says there are some very old names up there.

Well done for persisting over it all that time, I'm sure I would have given up after a month.

Blog Entries

Thanks Midnight. I'm very please your wife's name will be there for possibly centuries
    As for persistance - it wasn't really a case of that.There were always higher priority projects on the go and so this kept getting pushed back. However, I like to think that like good wine and cheese it had time to mature!
    Tim

I could watch the whole length without problems and like the narrator's voice.
    Nice animation job. Which tool did you use and did you draw it yourself?
    Interesting idea to have the numbers "star warsing" on the floor.
    Great variety of footage.

Not really anything to complain so let me be picky.
    Too bad the opening shot didn't have better lighting.
    Interview sound recording quality could have been better.
    You could have probably have droped the church fund trust information.
    If there had been a schedule to meet you could have added some drama about running out of time.
    Add dolly and crane shots

I have to agree that making a documentary about bell ringers could make an interesting piece of work :P

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

Enc - if you want to mention the flaws - either here or by PM, feel free. Just in case it's something I've missed. No obligation though.

e.
    Glitch/jump at 36 seconds

Hilarys lips moving (without hearing her words) as we fade into a text overlay at 4.55 looks odd to me.

as i said, to the casual viewer ... probably unnoticeable .
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast