Thread: Manchester united 2014-15 , again.

Default Manchester united 2014-15 , again.

i posted this in the user videos section and it was removed for breaking the rules
    hopefully this is the right section to post it
    my first try at editing
    a simple manchester united 2015 montage
    criticism is welcome and advice is needed
    enjoy

I'll be honest and say posts like yours do make me sigh. I know you're having fun doing it and you're looking for someone to stroke your ego and tell you it's awesome, but really it's like someone driving a car down the road at 100mph and expect people to go wow look at that great driver.

OK - first the CRITICISM, though I doubt you'll actually find it as welcome as your post suggests

1) I highly doubt you have rights to this footage, so by doing what you did you are breaching copyright. I'm not sure about the music but it seems to be from Monstercat Podcast EP 029 so you may or may need to purchase sync rights to use it with video.

2) You've users a letter box effect, presumably to hide where you stole the footage from - but this presents a much bigger problem in that your edits are poorly placed because heads are frequently cut off, e.g. 0:30, 0:35, 0:36 and so on.

3) There are trademarks of other companies being used here without permissions.

I know it's hard when you want to play with editing video and don't have any of your own, but re-editing footage that's already been edited by someone else is easy (sports programs on TV are just one example), editing something that was shot but not yet edited presents a much more interesting challenge.

Now the ADVICE: If you don't have any of your own footage look for things on the web that are public domain, not copyrighted material such as this. Better still, go shoot something, even if it's just on your phone. It may not be as instantly impressive to you but that's how you will learn your craft.

Anyone who tells you this is awesome either just likes MU or doesn't really understand what's going on and the danger is that could lead you to an elevated but false sense of achievement. That's not how we all learn, we learn from mistakes and criticisms. No one who will actually give you any worthwhile feedback is going this think this is awesome. BTW - the colours are pretty bad too

Have fun in your editing but please, find some original footage to play with, it will be much more impressive in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    I'll be honest and say posts like yours do make me sigh. I know you're having fun doing it and you're looking for someone to stroke your ego and tell you it's awesome, but really it's like someone driving a car down the road at 100mph and expect people to go wow look at that great driver.

OK - first the CRITICISM, though I doubt you'll actually find it as welcome as your post suggests

1) I highly doubt you have rights to this footage, so by doing what you did you are breaching copyright. I'm not sure about the music but it seems to be from Monstercat Podcast EP 029 so you may or may need to purchase sync rights to use it with video.

2) You've users a letter box effect, presumably to hide where you stole the footage from - but this presents a much bigger problem in that your edits are poorly placed because heads are frequently cut off, e.g. 0:30, 0:35, 0:36 and so on.

3) There are trademarks of other companies being used here without permissions.

I know it's hard when you want to play with editing video and don't have any of your own, but re-editing footage that's already been edited by someone else is easy (sports programs on TV are just one example), editing something that was shot but not yet edited presents a much more interesting challenge.

Now the ADVICE: If you don't have any of your own footage look for things on the web that are public domain, not copyrighted material such as this. Better still, go shoot something, even if it's just on your phone. It may not be as instantly impressive to you but that's how you will learn your craft.

Anyone who tells you this is awesome either just likes MU or doesn't really understand what's going on and the danger is that could lead you to an elevated but false sense of achievement. That's not how we all learn, we learn from mistakes and criticisms. No one who will actually give you any worthwhile feedback is going this think this is awesome. BTW - the colours are pretty bad too

Have fun in your editing but please, find some original footage to play with, it will be much more impressive in the end.
    The Criticism: i'm actually really thankful for that , at least you took the time to right this and tell me what you think.
    I also admit I don't own rights to the footage as it was just for fun so i thought why not do it with something i like .

The Advice: Actually i would like to learn from mistakes and criticism which is why i posted the video in this forum in the first place , I don't want feedback saying this awesome as no one achieves "awesomeness" on their first try.I will try to edit copyright free footage next time , thanks for that .