Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Astley Green Colliery ... need critique ...

Default Astley Green Colliery ... need critique ...

February 2016......NEW EDIT AT END OF THREAD

Astley Green Colliery Museum is home to Lancashire's last remaining pit head gear and engine room....A somewhat sad fact considering the considerable amount of mines that were originally in the area.

The site is owned by Wigan council and run by the Red Rose Steam society. In its day, the winding engine was the biggest in Europe and remarkably over 100 years later still runs.

Be brutal rough cut of part 1 ... it needs work... i know that .... Please critique

Original edit ....

Last edited by enc; 02-08-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Generally very good. I thought the opening was excellent - some really good shots of the machinery and the colliery together with the machinery sounds and the song faded in from nowhere, then the machinery stops (clever) the ambient is cut and we're into the second verse accompanied now by archive shots. All very good. My only minor criticism is that we could see the machinery shots were handheld rather than on jib/slider/steadycam. This would not be noticeable were they not such great shots (Oh, the irony!) Have you tried stabilizing in post? Or am I being over fussy?

The cut at 0:59 comes as a surprise as you've suddenly gone from a photo filling the screen to a squarer framed image inside an expanded and blurred version. This worked far better in later images where you used some movement (zooming out) on the image though even in those I thought that the zooming was too quick and you should not have ended with all four edges of the "inset" photo visible. 0:59 is made worse by the fact it is a wider version of the shot immediately before.

I liked the subtle camera movement in the PTC (eg 1:35) (and he looked as if he was looking at the camera to me )

The tune at 2:34 bugged me. With familiar music it is so important to make sure it fits (ie if a piece is by Wagner, it's probably not a good fit for a piece about the Holocaust) and I couldn't place it - the I realised it's one of the sample tunes shipped with Windows 7 - I presume this is temporary.

I liked that you went for more unussual framing at eg 3:06, but was a bit disappointed that the interesting or busy stuff was behind the presenters head. Some lovely shots of the headgear after this - especially the one with the sunlight coming through - the handheld look seemed more natural here. I trust you will show the photo he refers to - there is no excuse for not doing so.

One day I hope to produce documentary images this engaging.
    Tim

I was fine with the historical stills although I would have loved to see some 3D Ken Burns especially when there were people but would have preferred filmed footage for the modern ones.
    You zoomed a bit too far out for my taste at 2:24.
    Generally the super wide screen did not add to the video in my eyes.
    Overall very nice to watch.

Thanks very much guys.. Appreciate you taking the time to view and comment. Some valid points raised.
    @tim, I'll respond to your comments later when I'm at my PC.
    The finished documentary will be at least twice as long .. Maybe three times longer... What do we think of the pace ? Does the more ambient sequence drag it down ?
    Thanks again.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    we could see the machinery shots were handheld rather than on jib/slider/steadycam. This would not be noticeable were they not such great shots (Oh, the irony!) Have you tried stabilizing in post? Or am I being over fussy?

No i havent tried stabilizing yet Tim but ill give it a go.... i have experimented on other projects with the warp stabilizer in Premiere but never happy with the results.

The cut at 0:59 comes as a surprise as you've suddenly gone from a photo filling the screen to a squarer framed image inside an expanded and blurred version. This worked far better in later images where you used some movement (zooming out) on the image though even in those I thought that the zooming was too quick and you should not have ended with all four edges of the "inset" photo visible. 0:59 is made worse by the fact it is a wider version of the shot immediately before.

Agreed !

I liked the subtle camera movement in the PTC (eg 1:35) (and he looked as if he was looking at the camera to me )

LOL ! glad you liked it.... just an experiment to put a little "life" into what is a very static shot. didnt think anybody would pick up on it TBH . need to be carefull not to over use it.

The tune at 2:34 bugged me. With familiar music it is so important to make sure it fits (ie if a piece is by Wagner, it's probably not a good fit for a piece about the Holocaust) and I couldn't place it - the I realised it's one of the sample tunes shipped with Windows 7 - I presume this is temporary.

I actually quite like it and think it works as a bridge piece... however, itll probably be going because of copyright.

I liked that you went for more unussual framing at eg 3:06, but was a bit disappointed that the interesting or busy stuff was behind the presenters head. Some lovely shots of the headgear after this - especially the one with the sunlight coming through - the handheld look seemed more natural here. I trust you will show the photo he refers to - there is no excuse for not doing so.

Yes i really like the "ambient shots" but unsure if they'l work in the full length version. in this section, originally i had some "ghostly" Foley sounds of machinery and pit workings but decided to leave them out of the mix. ive asked for the photo just waiting to hear back from Geoff ,,... it would be a nice addition.

Thanks again Tim.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Regarding the sample tune shipped with Windows 7 - the reason not to use it is because people will associate it with something else (Windows 7). A problem with any familiar piece. I agree it is suitable - but for that association.

Regarding the photo, it goes without saying that if you don't get hold of it, you should leave the reference out!

As for your ambient shots, I didn't think they did make the pace drag. But I couldn't tell you why - I'd guess because they were interestingly shot. I think you need more than one opinion though. It's very difficult to tell when it's your own work and I can understand why you are being cautious.
    Tim

7. Default

Thought I recognised this place (went taking photos there last year)!
    I would personally fill the frame with portrait oriented images and pan up or down rather than showing a blurred image on the layer below. Look forward to seeing the finished piece.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Cat Media View Post
    Thought I recognised this place (went taking photos there last year)!
    I would personally fill the frame with portrait oriented images and pan up or down rather than showing a blurred image on the layer below. Look forward to seeing the finished piece.
    Rob
    Thanks for your input

The video was excellent and held my attention throughout - both the lighting and colors were spot on

i didn't like the music but that is a personal preference and not a reflection on your video - I did appreciate the ambient sounds

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    The video was excellent and held my attention throughout - both the lighting and colors were spot on

i didn't like the music but that is a personal preference and not a reflection on your video - I did appreciate the ambient sounds
    Thanks for you comment

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast