Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another noob - any media composer guys out there?

Default Yet another noob - any media composer guys out there?

So, I'm a recovering audio engineer and I recently had a paid video gig fall in my lap. So, using the client's gopro I'll be hopefully shooting a series of instructional videos. I'm inclined to use avid media composer for editing given my experience and comfort level with pro tools. I'm already seeing some crossover in design philosophy with regard to protect setup, file structure, etc.

While I know that avid is probably overkill for what I'm doing now, I'd rather learn on one software and stick with it than have to upgrade and start the learning curve over later. The new subscription model they're doing for the software also makes it entirely affordable given that this is actually a paid gig.

So, that said are there any media composer guys out there willing to hit me with some pointers (things you wish you had known sooner) and/or willing to serve as a resource if I get hung up on something?

Thanks in advance!

P.s. I'm a pc guy in Windows 7 pro

Quote Originally Posted by snapicus View Post

are there any media composer guys out there willing to hit me with some pointers (things you wish you had known sooner) and/or willing to serve as a resource if I get hung up on something?

Thanks in advance!

P.s. I'm a pc guy in Windows 7 pro
    Might be s struggle with the GoPro !?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Might be s struggle with the GoPro !?
    How so? Is there a compatibility issue with videos shot on the gopro and avid? Or are you just referring to the actual video quality presented by a consumer-grade camera?

Quote Originally Posted by snapicus View Post
    are you just referring to the actual video quality presented by a consumer-grade camera?
    not so much the quality , more the actual control or lack of over the camera. what kind of instructional video are you shootibg ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

It's pretty much a YouTube-style "here's how you work this thing" video series. It's for a corporate client but they're going for the whole "informal" vibe.

At this point, I don't know if this is going to end up being 2 videos or two hundred. It really could go either way. If it gets to the point where the workload justifies the cost, I can see myself dropping the coin on a decent setup, but at this point it would be ill-advised when the client could scrap the whole thing tomorrow.

ok, I'm running into my first problem. Media composer keeps running into a "serious error" while importing and advising me to "immediately restart the application."

I was originally just ama linking instead of importing, but I was having the same problem when trying to edit with the ama linked files. It's hit and miss with the importing, but once I get the files imported, things seem to run smoothly. Unfortunately, this file I'm working on right now is bigger than the others and it can't seem to get all the way through the import on this one before it bunks up.

I'm fairly computer savvy, but I don't know where to even start troubleshooting this. Okay, well I do: but I checked and it is both plugged in and turned on, so after that I'm pretty much stumped.

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down. Since I'm using gopro footage it has the fisheye effect. I'm using gopro studio to remove that effect and exporting from there.

Avid has no problems importing the raw mp4 files from the camera, but chokes on the processed files. My guess is its having a problem with the cfhd codec maybe?

Any help troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated

ive never used avid so dont know what filters are available

in premiere to straighten the fish eye effect i use

distort
    lens distortion
    curvature - 26

maybe you can do something similar in Avid thus not needing to import from gopro studio

did you search the avid forums?

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/93912.aspx
    Last edited by enc; 04-13-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Ok, an update in case anyone Google's this problem. I'm pretty sure I was having a problem with my computer. My pc had been running slow for a while, in spite of having a wd raptor 10,000 rpm hdd as a dedicated system drive. I began to suspect that the drive was going bad, so I ordered a new ssd and installed it with a clean Windows install. No problems at all after that.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was a hardware problem or a Windows problem: I hadn't reformatted in a looong time. But anyway, that took care of it.

Another note for those wanting to learn avid: check out the "learn avid media composer" series on YouTube by Kevin p. Mcauliffe. It's pretty amazing.

10. Default

Oh, and to my knowledge, there isn't a stock solution to fisheye. You have to use the gopro studio software and then import to avid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast