Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMS Dasher

Default HMS Dasher

I went up to Scotland last week to attend the memorial weekend of HMD Dash. It's loss during WW2 was kept secret for political reasons. This is a flavour of the memorial service held for the crew of HMS Dasher, an archer class aircraft carrier which sank on the 27th March 1943, in the Firth of Clyde, off the coast of Scotland. Of the ships complement of around 550, 397 souls were lost from this tragic accident.

Blog Entries

Sorry Midnight. Some harsh words from me. This was spoilt the wind noise, the rain and the fact we could barely hear what was being said over the PA. The shots cannot make up for this which is a great shame as they are very good - as I would expect from you. I like the graphics you've used as well. I would suggest strip back the audio so you only have the usable stuff (basically the louder parts of the pipes) and then replace the rest with other audio (as you have at the end - maybe even use a few verses of "For Those in Peril") and perhaps add n some rolling wave audio. If it's too much, then trim back the video content. It's not disrespectful - there are people paying their respects, not those who lost their lives.
    If you want to pay respects to the departed, consider showing who is layiong wreaths on behalf of whom in captions rather than forcing us to try to make it out through the rain noise.
    Tim

You are right about the audio. I wasn't really intending the PA to be legible at all. It's just there as a background noise because it looks odd seeing people talking without some sort of relevant connected voice. I wasn't sure what to do so I just left it with the annoying sound of the rain on my umbrella etc. I knew from the start that I wouldn't be able to capture any good audio so I didn't make any effort to do so. What I didn't think of is what to put in it's place.
    The easy cop out would be to just add a music backing track but I want to be more creative with it. I've posted it hear to get some good ideas ? Perhaps a few more verses of the Navy Hymn will have to do.

what horrendous conditions to work in... camera-mans worst nightmare ? i guess you can overcome these situations on a planned shoot but very difficult conditions for run and gun.
    originally i watched this on an ipad and to be honest couldn't go any further than 1.50 as the rain noise was just too distracting .... sounded like distortion on the ipads tinny speakers.

watching on a desktop fared better although the sound of the wind buffering was picked up on the better speakers. to the detriment of the other sounds it might be worth filtering the bass with your EQ ?

some loveley footage and nice colour grading.

what a shame you didnt have better conditions on the day .

Ive aleays loved the sound og bag pipes but in my old age they play havoc with my tinnitus
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I am working on the audio. I've managed to filer out most of the rain & wind sound of the lone bagpipe lament this filtered out most of the pipes drone sound so I added some Foley to compensate. The marching band is still a bit windy (well they are playing bagpipes ) so I'm still working on that. I have an idea for the "Rain on umbrella" sounds but would like any other suggestions what to do with those bits. Nimrod is now included in the sound track. I found a nice royalty free version on https://musopen.org/.

As usual I've rushed things as I wanted to get it to the guys ASAP. Remind me never to do that without posting here first.

Neither of you has mentioned the editing so I'm guessing it's ok'ish.

Is this better.

Blog Entries

Much improved, in my book. I liked that you left a bit of rain noise there in one section - gives a feeling of presence but without the distraction. Ditto the small amount of wind noise.
    There can be few pieces as emotional as Nimrod for celebrating the service given for country (Host's "Jupiter" - "I vow to the my country" is another great one for this) and it works well here, especially combined with the live pipes and "For those in Peril"
    It was well worth tidying up. Nice job.
    Tim

Thanks Tim, where would I be without you guys to ground me as I follow the path of video righteousness.

Set to private :(

Try the new version in post #6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast