Thread: what software do i buy

Default what software do i buy

i need software to edit short movies and youtube videos for windows 7. i dont know what software to buy though. im willing to spend up to sixty dollars (Australian currency). please give me a recommended list thank you. also just to note im fairly new to editing the most experience ive had is imovie and windows movie maker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Talonqr View Post
    the most experience ive had is imovie and windows movie maker.
    And what don't they do that you need to do?
    Tim

I second Tim's question. While I don't have much experience with Movie Maker, what is it that iMove doesn't do that you need?

Many people have tools such as iMovie but never learn how to use it properly, so never understand how powerful a tool it can be.

It may be better spend your money (much less of it) on training from sites such as Lynda.com. This way you not only save money but learn how to use a lot of tools quickly and easily.

If there are specific things you need that iMovie doesn't do, let us know and we have try to help out in a more specific way.

Many people have tools such as iMovie but never learn how to use it properly, so never understand how powerful a tool it can be.

i have to say windows movie maker in its current form is a hideous piece of software and IMO not a good introduction to time line editing.... in that its fairly 'unique' in its concept.

Lots of folk in our video club use serif movie plus... previous version can be had for arounf 20

i haven't used it myself but have seen many tutorials at out club and it appears intuitive and more in line with typical nonlinear editing programs that you might want to up grade to once you become mire experienced.

others to consider are

Adobe Premiere elements
    sony vegas
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Despite asking what it is that MM doesn't do, I am inclined to agree with enc's opinion. (In my defebce I was fact finding, rather than recommending).
    But thanks for raising Serif software. It's pretty good (indeed I use PhotoPlus as I'm too mean to buy PhotoShop for the few times I need it per year). A school I work at uses MoviePlus and find it more than capable of taking the kids to GCSE level in both Art and ICT. As enc says they regularly have deals where the "previous" version (and they update every year/18months) is to be had for a song. the "current version" is also oten offered at a very good price to people who have previously bought from them. My only issue with Serif is they do tend to pester a bit (maybe a phone call once or twice a year and regular spam emails) but if you can live with that -a good value UK company.
    Tim

As others have advised the entry level Adobe & Sony video editing software is really good value. I haven't used Serif so can't advise on that. Windows movie maker is rubbish the previous version that came with Windows XP was much better. There is also Pinnacle/Avid entry level software but can be a bit temperamental.

Default sorry i should of added

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    And what don't they do that you need to do?
    i dont actually own imovie and i hate movie maker i need something better than movie maker and im on windows so imvie isnt an option

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ....... as I'm too mean to buy PhotoShop for the few times I need it per year........
    Me too!... definitely too expensive what I need it for. So I was pleased to find that Adobe had released an earlier version (CS2) as a genuine freebie. OK, so it doesn't have all the 'bells and whistles' of the latest incarnation, but still pretty good.....especially as it's free!
    (See here: http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/adob...ustrator-free/ )

Quote Originally Posted by Talonqr View Post
    i dont actually own imovie and i hate movie maker i need something better than movie maker and im on windows so imvie isnt an option
    OK - so the next question is how much time / effort are you willing to invest (in lieu of money) to learn how to use it? If the answer is 'not much' then what ever package you choose it's going to be limited.

If the answer is "quite a bit" then how about a FREE download of software used to edit lots of Hollywood films? http://www.techradar.com/downloads/lightworks

How about a FREE software download that does both editing and colour grading (and also used by Hollywood a LOT) https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/...davinciresolve

Both packages are FREE but very powerful. The downside is that with power comes the need to invest time learning how to use it.