Thread: Recording camera VS playback camera

Default Recording camera VS playback camera

I have a Canon XH-A1s that needs to go back to the shop again for the 3rd time for the same thing. Firewire port, no communication with the PC. Recording/Playback is good, just can't capture it using PremierePro CC.
    Question: If I record using my XH-A1s, HDV 16:9, and I use a different standard DV camera (still 16:9 capable) to playback and capture to Premiere Pro via firewire will I lose anything quality wise?

Blog Entries

If you record in HDV you will not be able to play back on a DVD camera at all! Sorry
    Tim

Ah, you're right. I never tried before.
    Any idea why my firewire port could be repeatedly failing? This will be the 3rd repair at $400-$500 a crack!

I know one guy that bought a cheap used HV20 to be his 'deck' for importing his XH-A1 footage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    I know one guy that bought a cheap used HV20 to be his 'deck' for importing his XH-A1 footage.
    Indeed. You can occasionally find broken HDV cameras on eBay which will playback perfectly.

As for the failing MiniDV port, are you being ultra careful and switching everything off before plygging in/unplugging. i've never had a problem (apart from devices not being recognised occasionally) but apparently it's not a good idea to plug in and unplug with power applied.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Steve221 View Post
    Any idea why my firewire port could be repeatedly failing? This will be the 3rd repair at $400-$500 a crack!
    As Tim has suggested, not a good idea to plug a Firewire port live. I had a friend who recently lost a Firewire port, and I posted a thread over HERE at the time. There's a link in that post to a PDF that gives some of the technical details. The advice is a bit it late for you though, I'm afraid!

Ever since that first time, I've been 100% sure my camera is OFF when plugging my cable into the camera. rogs' post has a link to a post saying not to plug in with equipment on at EITHER end. Although my camera is OFF, my computer (PC WIN7) is on when plugging in. Does everyone shutdown their computer completely before plugging in a firewire device? If this is so, I may try a repair one more time. Would a HV20, HV30 and XH-A1s all produce the same output quality via firewire?

Blog Entries

Would a HV20, HV30 and XH-A1s all produce the same output quality via firewire?
    Yes. Although it's capturing in real time it's still digital data so you will either get a complete frame (or, more accurately in the case of GHV a GOP - group of pictures) or nothing. If you have a dropped frame (or GOP) this is to do with dearty/misaligned heads or poor tape, not the camera electronics.

As for your other query, I've only ever bothered with switching the camera off (and often forgotten to do that - so I've been very lucky)
    Tim

Ever since that first time, I've been 100% sure my camera is OFF when plugging my cable into the camera. rogs' post has a link to a post saying not to plug in with equipment on at EITHER end. Although my camera is OFF, my computer (PC WIN7) is on when plugging in. Does everyone shutdown their computer completely before plugging in a firewire device? If this is so, I may try a repair one more time.
    To be safe, both devices should be switched off. In addition, post #3 of that same thread goes on to reiterate the Sony and Panasonic advice on the recommended connection sequence - to minimise static damage risk, as well as ''late Vgnd' problems.

I have often plugged in Firewire live, and never lost a port (so far!). But, like Tim says, it's down to luck.
    Unlike USB - or even XLR - which are 'pretty bomb' proof connectors regarding the pin connection sequence, the offsets in the Firewire connection pin lengths are very small, and can (and do) permit random connection sequences....

I took David's advice and bought a used HV20. Not delivered yet. I assume it has a mini Firewire/DV port which never seemed very robust to me. As that link says, my FW cable is always plugged into the PC so the cable is in the PC before the camera. Now I wonder if booting up the PC while the camera is plugged in (and off) will cause any surge or other potential issues to the camera's delicate FW circuits.

4/3/15: Nothing for 'Canon' shows up in Device Manager. I assume it would be under IEEE 1394. Nothing there or anywhere else. I confirmed when cable plugged into camera only, no icon flashing. When plugged into camera and PC is when I get the flashing.
    Last edited by Steve221; 04-03-2015 at 09:50 PM.