Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Rail

Default British Rail

Thought of making a video that feature UK locomotives (not all loco types are shown) that I have filmed over 5 years.
    https://youtu.be/VSv0ucYVtXU

Thanks - that brought back some memories! In the first half of the 80s I was on the footplate and drove so many different diesel locos at the time. It got me thinking about the various classes I'd driven but have since left service. 03, 08, 20, 31, 37, 45, 46, 47, 55 (actually every Deltic in service at the time!), 56 + HSTs Those were the days, but I just hated the shifts so I left to go on to bigger / better things.

Blog Entries

Blimey David! Deltics still in service in the 80s? (I was a trainspotter in the early/mid 70s but never had the boyhood craving to drive the things)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Don't mind the shots of the locos but there was quite a bit of ... nothing ... that could have been edited out. Unless, of course, you were trying to evoke that sense of hanging around with nothing happening that comes with the territory of trainspotting
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Blimey David! Deltics still in service in the 80s? (I was a trainspotter in the early/mid 70s but never had the boyhood craving to drive the things)
    As I remember they went out about 1982 or 1983 but not sure off the top of my head. I do recall that the London / York trips were a doddle to keep time with a Deltic, just about OK with a 47 but when we got lumbered with a 31 (because our designated 47 had failed) we were always late - significantly!

Long time ago now. Don't miss it either.

6. Default

I would suggest not using the Stabilize function in YouTube for these kinds of shots.

Blog Entries

Default British Rail

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I would suggest not using the Stabilize function in YouTube for these kinds of shots.
    Why so, bouldersoundguy? I thought it worked particularly well here (if, indeed, this was done by YT)
    Tim

Blog Entries

It was a tad annoying to see the whole screen shift around do much.

I agree on the stabilization. The shifting borders and the wobbling were annoying.
    Some voiceover or at least textual information would have been nice. There is so much to tell about old locomotives.
    The action after 3:00 starts a bit late.
    5:00 is very dark.
    Hardly any action at 7:20 but lots of wind noise.
    I couldn't make it much further than that and would generally have appreciated some close-ups of details.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I agree on the stabilization. The shifting borders and the wobbling were annoying.
    But nowhere near as annoying as the images wobbling around. I found that if I was looking at the engines rather than the whole shot (and surely this is aimed at people who will want to look at the engines) then the shifting borders weren't really noticable. I was watching full screen on a 23" monitor with my nose about 2" away.
    I'm not disputing the fact it would have been better to have it stabilized and reframed to remove the wobbly border, but given the general quality/editing of the video I suspect the maker doesn't have the ability to do that (as yet). Un-stabilised at all it would have been unwatchable.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast