Thread: Apply Effect Partially Over Final Scene

Default Apply Effect Partially Over Final Scene

Weird title, I know. I am trying to start a new YouTube career. Before I start making videos (mostly because I lack certain resources most of the time) I wanted to try to up the production value of my soon-to-be-made videos by creating ready-to-use transition effects. Blah blah blah and I need to apply the effects to all video sources (at least three), but only to a portion of the screen. I discovered the Video Output FX option above the preview window and it does what I need in terms of applying the effects to the video sources. I haven't yet discovered how, or even if, I can apply these effects to a portion of the output video.

I have found a workaround where the effects I want to be constant across the entire screen can be put into the previously named button and then render it. I then load the outputted video into a new project, duplicate the video track as a new source, apply the other effects, and use the cookie cutter to remove effects from where I don't want them. More specifically, I used the Add Noise plugin in Video Output FX before rendering the video. I loaded the rendered video into a new project and copied the video track as a new source. I applied the TV Simulator plugin to the first video track and chained the Cookie Cutter plugin to remove the left half of the first video track and reveal the left half of the original video. I rendered this as the final cut.

Is there a way to do all of that without needing to render multiple videos? I believe one option is to duplicate all of the video sources (taking three and making six!) and doing with them what I did to the first rendered video (apply effects, use cookie cutter).

2. Default

Never tried this myself but have you considered using an adjustment layer? Size and position it to where you need the effects, then add effects to the adjustment layer.

It looks like it's just going to put me in the same situation.

*MID-POST EDIT*
    I just tried using track motion on the adjustment layer and it did nothing.

Blog Entries

What do you mean by an adjustment layer? This has no meaning in Sony Vegas terminology.

I'm not clear on the definition of the problem. You talk about three video sources, but don't explain how you are combining these video sources.

However, even without understanding the problem, from what you've said above ...

Are you aware that you can use bezier masks within Pan and Crop to apply an effect only to the masked part of the image? This might negate the need for duplicate tracks and the cookie cutter.
    Tim

manch meant this. And my saying "video source" was a bit misleading. Whenever I say "video source," I really mean anything that isn't an effect or audio. I was using text, a background image, and an actual video scaled way down (and one single audio track). This is the first video I rendered. This is what I was aiming for.

*EDIT*
    I forgot YouTube hates things like the static in the video, so mind the quality.
    Last edited by tridecagon; 03-20-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation of "Adjustment layers" in Vegas. I didn't know you could do that (I've always done that with a white generated media and a Multiply composite mode - which will then allow track motion)
    . Thanks also for demonstrating what you're trying to do.

Let me work on it ...
    Tim

Blog Entries

OK, I've spent a bit of time on this and have come to the conclusion that you cannot easily do what you are trying to do.
    You want to apply a mask to a composite and an effect to that masked area whilst leaving the rest of the composite unaffected.
    The problem is that you can only deal with a complete composite at the track level and you cannot mask a track as such.

As far as I can tell:
    Your solutions involve one of:
    1. doing what you have done and pre-rendering the composite
    2. Doing this with duplicate source video tracks as you have suggested (I haven't tried this but I can imagine how it might work)
    3. Nested projects (do the primary composite in one project then use that veg as the source for another project where you do the "masked" effects.

I'd be delighted if someone like Grazie came along and proved me wrong as I'd love to find a simpler way.
    Tim

I think I'll follow number one for now. I can run the composite through Windows Movie Maker, which I apparently have to download, for some cheap-looking effects. I just realized it's been years since I last used WMM.

*EDIT*
    It has some effects I like, but I can't find the ones from the Win XP days like the one that makes the video look like it was shot with an old camera. I might me able to find an old video I made showing what I'm talking about.

*EDIT 2*
    Never mind that last edit. I'm thinking of Nero.
    Last edited by tridecagon; 03-23-2015 at 04:42 AM.