Thread: Got no audio using VirtualDub Mode to convert VOB to DV

Default Got no audio using VirtualDub Mode to convert VOB to DV

I have a Sony Handycam that records to MiniDVDs with no way to connect the camera direct to the PC.

I am very new to capturing/editing video and I followed the instructions on this website listed under "Editing MPEG and other highly compressed video sources"

What I did:
    1. Used VirtualDubMod to process a .VOB file into a .avi file using the panasonic dv codec
    2. Imported the resulting .avi file into an IMovie HD project on my Apple Powerbook.

Things worked fine - I have video clips in IMovie that I can view and edit, but I lost the audio.

Does anyone know why the audio was lost and how I can fix it?
    I only processed the .vob files, no others from the miniDVD's VIDEO_TS folder.

Thanks .........

Forgot to mention .............
    I did the VirtualDubMod stuff on a Windows XP machine as the Powerbook won't read miniDVDs. After I got the .avi file created I was able to go to Streams/StreamList/select the audio stream shown/Demux and created a .ac3 file which I could then open with WindowsMediaPlayer and listen to.
    So the audio is there, I just can't figure out how to get IMovie on my Powerbook to play it.

Apple editing programs dont really like to mess with .avi files, even though they can. Most windows files don't go well with apple editing programs, as most quicktime files dont go well with windows editing programs.
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Default VOB to avi

Hi

I just joined this forum tonight and am already impressed with the information being shared on it. I copy old VHS tapes onto a Sony DVD recorder and they are in .VOB format. I then put the DVD into the computer and transfer the files onto the hard disk (it takes about a half hour), I then right mouse click on the file name and rename it and change then file extension from .VOB to .avi and I have had no problem with audio or video. Yes the Pc does like the avi files the best but most recent video editing packages should open .mov files which are more popular on the Pc, can't say if the same is true for the MAC?