Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Film on ARTIST + JAZZ COLLABORATION

1. Default Short Film on ARTIST + JAZZ COLLABORATION

This is the first short film I've ever made. Done a lot of stuff for other people in the form of EPK's and performance work, but Alban is a friend and has helped me out with some stuff in the past, so I thought I'd do this for him.

Let me know what you think and please be as brutal as you like!

Here it is on vime if you prefer:

Shot it on 3 different cameras: All Canon, C100, T3i and 6D.

Thanks

Dan Redding
    http://danredding.co.uk/pro-videography/

Blog Entries

Good video. Initially I thought there was a bit too much room noise on Alban's interview but I soon stoped noticing and I'm not even sure if I'm right now. The video drew me in. I tend to be a bit cynical about the idea of music influencing art and vice versa in a live situation, but there is no logic behind this as:
    1. I'm quite happy with the idea of works of art being influenced by pieces of music and vice versa generally and I don't mean lieterally as in Mussorgski's Pictures at an Exhibition.
    2. I'm equally happy with the idea of musicians influencing each other in a live environment.#

But the video expressed the idea in common language without going all "artsy" on us. It was paced well with a good variety of content and shots. All accompanied by a great soundtrack. Well done.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Good video. Initially I thought there was a bit too much room noise on Alban's interview but I soon stoped noticing and I'm not even sure if I'm right now. The video drew me in. I tend to be a bit cynical about the idea of music influencing art and vice versa in a live situation, but there is no logic behind this as:
    1. I'm quite happy with the idea of works of art being influenced by pieces of music and vice versa generally and I don't mean lieterally as in Mussorgski's Pictures at an Exhibition.
    2. I'm equally happy with the idea of musicians influencing each other in a live environment.#

But the video expressed the idea in common language without going all "artsy" on us. It was paced well with a good variety of content and shots. All accompanied by a great soundtrack. Well done.

Thanks Tim!!

I notice that some of my interviews sound roomy... Not sure what I'm doing wrong.. I'm using a Rode NTG3 and I've noticed that one some other promos... I was going straight into my external soundcard in this case, but usually go through my C100.

Check out this (interview from 2:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQaz1GBJqtg

I thought it was because we recorded it in a room filled with acoustic wooden instruments in this case, but I did notice it on the Alban stuff too....

Blog Entries

The NTG3 is a great mic (by all accounts - I've not used one). Are you using it mounted on the camera? If so, get it off! Your problem is almost certainly not the mic, but the distance from the source (ie your interviewee's mouth). A cheap mic close up will sound far better than a 1000 one several feet away. Try to get the mic as close as possible without appearing in the shot - with a static interview this normally means held on a boom stand or by a boom operator just above the frame. Just below the frame is nearly as good but at twice the distance we are getting 4x more background or room noise for the same level of direct voice. Best is usually a lavalier as you can get this only a few inches away from the mouth. However this can sound too dry for some situations (eg in an environment where you might expect to hear a bit of room noise) and is often best mixed with a bit of room noise.

I checked out the link -
    (a) Thanks for introducing me to Partikel - I feel I might go through another jazz phase (Remind me nearer 28th May and I may even go to see them in Dorking
    (b) I think they said in the interview "home town of Kingston". I presume that's Kingston upon Thames. Are you from that area too? I ask as I live up the road in Walton.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The NTG3 is a great mic (by all accounts - I've not used one). Are you using it mounted on the camera? If so, get it off! Your problem is almost certainly not the mic, but the distance from the source (ie your interviewee's mouth). A cheap mic close up will sound far better than a 1000 one several feet away. Try to get the mic as close as possible without appearing in the shot - with a static interview this normally means held on a boom stand or by a boom operator just above the frame. Just below the frame is nearly as good but at twice the distance we are getting 4x more background or room noise for the same level of direct voice. Best is usually a lavalier as you can get this only a few inches away from the mouth. However this can sound too dry for some situations (eg in an environment where you might expect to hear a bit of room noise) and is often best mixed with a bit of room noise.

I checked out the link -
    (a) Thanks for introducing me to Partikel - I feel I might go through another jazz phase (Remind me nearer 28th May and I may even go to see them in Dorking
    (b) I think they said in the interview "home town of Kingston". I presume that's Kingston upon Thames. Are you from that area too? I ask as I live up the road in Walton.

BLIMEY!! Small world, yes they are good friends of mine and we all live in Kingston Upon Thames. I use the Riverhouse arts centre in Walton to film quite a lot... Like this:

For the Partikel one I had the mic on the camera, but thought it would be close enough (CLEARLY NOT!).. I find the monitoring system for audio on the C100 a bit difficult to get to grips with and 1st time I used the manual setting I peaked everything and had to use the on board camera audio, which was ok thankfully... For the interview with Alban I was holding the mic (I don't have a boom but have started to use a mic stand in it's place).. I'm pretty sure you're right though.. I reckon I need to still get closer.. Have to buy a bloody boom I suppose...

Screw going to see Partikel, you should come down to the Boaters on the river in Kingston this Sunday and say hello to me! I'm playing there with some other musos...

On an unrelated note, I don't suppose you know much about adjustment layers in premiere pro?? Presumably if put several adjustment layers stacked up then the one at the top affects all the layers under that, but the one on the bottom will not affect the ones at the top? I'm using noise reduction on layer 1, sharpening on 2, lumetri grade from speedgrade on 3 and film convert on 4.... I'm hoping that buy doing that I get rid of the camera digital noise and add the film convert film emulation noise... This never seems to come out in the render though, although perhaps that's because I'm rendering h264 files for youtube (around 11-19 MBPS).

Thanks

Dan

Get your mic. in as close as you can to reduce the room sound, I find clip on mics are good for this issue. The first interview was a strange mix of cold temperature from day light and warm tungsten mixed which looked odd. Use a gel to match the cold temperature on the tungsten lights. During the interview with Bill the background is too bright and I found myself looking at the garden rather than Bill. Increase the lighting on bill then you can close the iris to reduce the overall exposure. Or close the curtain. Also I find it's good practice to try and keep the subject as far away from the background as possible.

I thought to cut aways/B roll was good. Over all an interesting idea. Well done.

7. Default

Great idea and video! As above mic choice and placement will help reduce any distractions and keep the viewer focused on what's important, there are lots of views on lav mics vs well placed shotguns (try both if you can and see what works for you). The only thing I would say is that sometimes I wanted to see a long shot like on a 70-200mm (easy to say if you own a long lens) but thats all add.
    Cheers
    Rob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Redding View Post
    I use the Riverhouse arts centre in Walton to film quite a lot... Like this:
    Great looking vid! It looks to me like you had the place to yourselves - or you had an extremely understanding audience.
    I'm meant to be putting together a vid for a 10 piece soul band (who, funnily enough, I first saw at Canbury Gardens) for their website but so far they keep insisting that we record live in clubs (they can cover the audio). I keep trying to persuade them that it would be far better "staged" but they think it'll lose the atmosphere. Perhaps I should show them this and they can hire you (as opposed to me doing a favour).

The Boaters website isn't entirely clear. As there's no mention, I presume it's free entry. I may be able to get a pass out - and possibly come with a mate. Whilst I'm past my "jazz period" (during which I worked really hard to play jazz and totally failed) it'd be great to say hello and listen to what you do.

Edit - can't help with Premiere I'm afraid.
    Tim

Excellent job - really enjoyed it - good one

10. Default

wow awesome job! i have lots of work ahead of me! i felt like i was watching something on the tv. amazing production thank you for sharing!

*EDIT* i too notice the airy sound during the talking but only after reading a comment.
    Last edited by Freshfrom613; 03-12-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: read another post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast