Thread: Virus (Our first live action film!)

Default Virus (Our first live action film!)

Welp, I've been lurking around for a bit but decided to join up and start with something I've made. This is our first short film, Virus, which started out as a sort of test for cloning and effects. Tell me what you think. :3

Blog Entries

It was OK as a test piece. I rather liked the concept and I think it would have worked very well as a 90 sec film. As it was lots and lots and lots and lots of scenes of people fighting each other didn't add any more than if you'd had just a couple of kills by the virus and by the anti-virus. However then you wouldn't have got so much practice at the effects. So, as I said, it was OK as a test piece. It would be a simple task to create a one minute/90 sec film from it to make something that might appeal to a wider audience.

My only criticism of the plot was that the command was "quarantine" not "destroy" so it would have been much more fun to see the virus personnel captured and imprisoned/tied up. Again that wouldn't have really have given you effects - although you could perhaps freeze them, then make them disappear only to reappear in the "prison".
    Tim

I agree with Tim. The idea was nice but then there was lots of random shooting without clear goal. Why does the guy at 3:20 not disappear by the way? Generally I muss some pace. It could be added by shorter cuts and more energetic acting.
    In the beginning the guy picks up the USB stick from the left and is then shown on the right. This was a bit strange for me but apart from that the video was technically well made.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I agree with Tim. The idea was nice but then there was lots of random shooting without clear goal. Why does the guy at 3:20 not disappear by the way? Generally I muss some pace. It could be added by shorter cuts and more energetic acting.
    In the beginning the guy picks up the USB stick from the left and is then shown on the right. This was a bit strange for me but apart from that the video was technically well made.
    i read your comment and then watched the video. he is playing with it in both of his hands from what i see. the first time i seen the shot i felt it was well orchestrated from viewing him in the chair to his hand movement.

5. Default

overall, the video is well done. like Tim said a shorter version would be a lot better. also, it might just be me but at first i was unclear who the bad guys were. the only way i really knew who the virus was, was when i seen the guy activate the laptops and it flashed red. the swat looking guys sort of look bug eyed which i related to virus and i was thinking as i was watching it "they should have made them more 'buggy' looking to look like a virus. or vice versa as in more like a swat guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshfrom613 View Post
    overall, the video is well done. like Tim said a shorter version would be a lot better. also, it might just be me but at first i was unclear who the bad guys were. the only way i really knew who the virus was, was when i seen the guy activate the laptops and it flashed red. the swat looking guys sort of look bug eyed which i related to virus and i was thinking as i was watching it "they should have made them more 'buggy' looking to look like a virus. or vice versa as in more like a swat guy.
    That was our biggest problem when it came to filming. We were trying to convey that the virus was the SWAT looking member by making him as different from his surroundings as possible. To be honest, the length was probably because we picked out the song before the actual shoot and loved it so much that we tried to match the overall rhythm of the video to match the sections of the song. Probably not the best plan. Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts so far!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KamakaziCat View Post
    To be honest, the length was probably because we picked out the song before the actual shoot and loved it so much that we tried to match the overall rhythm of the video to match the sections of the song.
    Hint: You don't need to use the whole of the song
    Tim