Thread: How do I achieve original footage quality when exporting

Default How do I achieve original footage quality when exporting

Not really sure where to start here so I'll try and be brief and hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

I have footage shot in 1080p on a DSLR and editing in Premiere Pro CS6. There is obviously a hell of a lot of settings that can be played with in the export window. Question is, what do I need to do to get the highest possible export because at the moment what I am seeing is interlaced and blurry.

I am filming and editing a promotional video for a cocktail bar that will be uploaded to either youtube or vimeo.

I understand that there may be a lot of different parameters involved here (most of which I will admit I do not have a clue about).

São Paulo - Brazil

Many possible replies to that question....although I understand what you mean! I recently bought a camera that is capable of producing HUGE files (ProRes422HQ or RAW = lotīs of image information I hope) and, after any rendering (compressing to a format that can be read by other softwares), the image quality certainly drops...

Well, this is a needed step, specially if YT/Vimeo are the final destinations, as you donīt want to upload a 35GB file for a 3 minutes movie... Even 1GB is too large for 3 minutes at YT! So, compressiom is on our side, itīs not the bad guy...not always.

The editing softwares usually offer a lot of rendering possibilities. Find one that is similar to your project files. If you shot everything at 1080 30p, use one rendering template that is similar. If your camera produces a 28mbps rate, work with this number for the highest quality, although for YT and Vimeo just 12mbps is more than enough...

I guess that both hosters (YT/Vimeo) prefer .mp4 files.... a bit more compressed to save the expensive space in their servers, but still a high quality format for home watching anyway.

And now a very basic question that, believe it or not, get a lot of people after uploading videos to YT.... Are you watching your film at YT in HD???? The hosters usually drop the quality of the video in order to stream faster, but they give you the option to enhance quality to HD...

I once spoke with a guy that was mad because YouTube was destroying the quality of his video after uploading it.... Nahhh, he was just watching it in 144p instead of 720 or 1080 HD options...

Resuming....there is (usually) a compromise between file size and image quality.... So always set your camera to register the best image quality it can cause, after that , quality is always going down the hill..... any compression you make, something is lost!

And, for the final rendering, play a lot! Make versions to YT, versions to DVD, BlueRay etc... and check the final sizes of the files. Also check final images in a large fullHD monitor/TV and take notes of what gave you the best results... Itīs fun to find your own "formulas"...
    Last edited by TonyBR; 03-09-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Great advice from Tony. All I can add to this is matching the original spec. will give you the best results. eg if you shot 1080p the render 1080p. If your camera records at 25Mb per second then render the same. etc....