Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drone Camera Learning Flights

Ohh boy.... Just when I start to believe that we ("humans") reached the bottom of the well of stupidity, something new like the "selfie stick" pops out from nowhere.... Jetskys, pitbulls...and now selfie-sticks.... What else???? (of course my list is much bigger, but were in a video forum!! )

End of rant (as you say there in UK).....

But yeah, drone shots from a canoe trip, specially this one in the canyon, will probably look great! The american guy that went with us to the Roosevelt river was supposed to bring one from the USA, but he missed the chance....and I missed the opportunity of keeping the drone here to me!!! hahahaah

Lets see what happens next. Ill turn 50 this year, and wife promised a nice surprise..... Hope its not a new baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think drone shots accompanying your canoe expeditions would be absolutely perfect.
    Couldn't agree more.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    As long as people are aware of their national laws then I see nothing to prevent people flying them for fun. It's amazing how many people seem to crash these things though! It's a lot of money for a toy that can be wiped out in seconds and insurance typically won't cover you (the excess / deductible is usually very high).

In the UK, as soon as you mount a camera (even to the little Hubsan sold in Maplins) it becomes an UASA (unmanned aerial surveillance aircraft) and falls under the rules of the CAA. If the footage / photos you shoot will be used commercially at any point then you need qualifications, permissions, insurances etc. It seems that the USA is finally catching up and the rest of the world are starting to take notice and bring in their own regulations. Hopefully the european laws will harmonise in around 2 years from now.
    Hi David

Do you mind me asking where you got your CAA permission and is it a ground exam/ theory based?
    Many thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Cat Media View Post
    Hi David

Do you mind me asking where you got your CAA permission and is it a ground exam/ theory based?
    Many thanks
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

Only the CAA can give you permissions, which requires proof of both Pilot competence and a written operational safety case / operations manual.

Initially you'll need to complete:

Ground School

Written Exam

Creation of an Organisational Operations Manual (covers all aspects of the operation plus safety case, it thoroughly documents your specific aircraft and all configurations) - you can't copy British Airways' Ops Manual, but it's the same concept.

Purchase commercial insurance, including the usual 3rd party indemnity etc (interestingly the policy excess costs more than a Phantom so if you bin it you get nothing back)

Submit the Ops Manual (including insurance docs) for review. Once the initial review has been accepted (most people get it pushed back at least once) then you can book your flight test.

Create documents including pre-site and on-site surveys, risk assessments and all the required planning as if going on a commercial job, ready for the flight exam (and hope the weather is kind!)

Practical Flight Exam with a CAA approved examiner

Final application to the CAA - and wait what seems like a lifetime for them to review it!

You will then need to renew your qualifications and re-apply to the CAA every 12 months.

I wrote a lot more after this but decided not to include it. If you really want more detail, let me know.

[Edit: Oh, and then you have to find people actually willing to pay you to fly! It's amazing how many people will have it for free, but they won't stick their hands in their pockets for it!]
    Last edited by David Partington; 03-21-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Hi Rob,

Only the CAA can give you permissions, which requires proof of both Pilot competence and a written operational safety case / operations manual.

Initially you'll need to complete:
    Wow! Leave it to the British to take the fun out of anything.

6. Default

Thanks David for the info!
    Just read this about possible EU changes to drone regulation:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorym...re-permissive/

From a brief read am I not sure where the boundary between "Open" and "Specific" would be for anyone adding this to a small/medium business?
    • Flights above crowds will be prohibited, but flights above people not related to the operation in cities or populated areas will be allowed.
    • Toys weighing less than 500g (1.1 pounds) will be exempt from industry standards.
    Cheers
    Rob

I'm not sure the piece accurately represents the proposed regs I've seen, but I'm having trouble finding them.

One of the problems is that they will need to define the difference between 'people' and 'crowds'. As it stands today, you're not allowed to fly within 150m of any gathering of '1000' or more people, regardless of weight class, or 50m of 'people' (less than 1000) not under your control. How many people are in the city / populated areas and over what distance do you have to count them? It all seems rather vague. OTOH, what is the real difference between 999 and 1000 people in terms of crash space available, but I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere.

I can see why the 500g limit could be useful. There are lots of toys around that would fit that category and the kinetic energy from one of them hitting you, while unpleasant, is unlikely to be fatal. The problem is that those < 500g systems are also the least stable.

I also understand that these European proposals could be up to two years away so the CAA regulations will certainly apply until then. National regulations can also over rule the European regs for safety reasons where needed.

It's fair to say that the CAA are very supportive of the new industry, unlike the FAA in the USA that has been dragged kicking and screaming all the way. The CAA are doing their best to find ways to help the industry 'work', allowing maximum benefits and flexibility while maintaining sensible safety limits.

I would be very surprised to see flights by the likes of the Phantoms or Inspire allowed to cross busy places with lots of people totally unhindered. Any one motor / prop failing on a quad and it's coming down - end of story. At least some Hex and Octos can still fly (albeit with diminished control) if a motor goes down.

We live in interesting times.

8. Default

Its all very unclear and I think that's the issue? I am happy filming from the ground!
    Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Cat Media View Post
    Its all very unclear and I think that's the issue? I am happy filming from the ground!
    Cheers
    Rob
    If you have any need for aerial you know where to find me

10. Default

Will do!
    Cheers
    Rob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast