Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone Camera Learning Flights

Default Drone Camera Learning Flights

I recently purchased a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + quadcopter camera drone. Learning to fly and frame the camera at the same time requires a wee bit of a learning curve, but the quality of the video is great, and will improve as I learn the system. I'm very impressed by the stability of the camera gimble. Here are edited videos of my first and second test flights this week.

Not the best camera operation or flying in the world, but lots of fun and promising addition to my filmmaking kit.

Blog Entries

Very smooth flying. I'm extremely impressed. All that space out there and you took your first test flight amongst all those obstacles - madness!
    One thing is clear, it is far more effective with slow and even movement.
    Tim

Agreed very smooth. I'm surprised they let you fly near all that expensive look equipment.

Looks great - filmmakers should use those bad boys for establishing shots instead of those big cranes - mind you the crane lobby might complain

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Agreed very smooth. I'm surprised they let you fly near all that expensive look equipment.
    I'm the boss there. Actually, other station managers and I plan to start using these camera drones to conduct visual tower and antenna inspections. I'm buying one for our Lead Rigger so he can visually check antennas from the ground to better plan climbing work.

Lokks like the guy riding the bucket (clip 2) was having the best ride. H&S must be a whole different world over there. Nice shooting!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Lokks like the guy riding the bucket (clip 2) was having the best ride. H&S must be a whole different world over there. Nice shooting!
    And he does it with no safety harness to prevent a fall. Construction safety practices all across the Middle East are very lax, relative to those in the West. Asian expat life is cheap in the ME.

Wow, amazing results.... After the release of the new model DJ1 Inspire the Phantom prices droped enough to become "buyable".... Now, with your examples, it is more than that.... it´s needable!!!

Flying drones can be fun and at first site it's easy to be impressed with your own footage.

You had some great moments there, and as a demo video of first / second flights etc it was perfect. Obviously we assume that for real paid flights you would edit out the abrupt turns etc

There is much interest around the world in drones because just like the DSLR opened up new ways of filming with shallow DOF, drones bring the opportunity to film from different angles.

As long as people are aware of their national laws then I see nothing to prevent people flying them for fun. It's amazing how many people seem to crash these things though! It's a lot of money for a toy that can be wiped out in seconds and insurance typically won't cover you (the excess / deductible is usually very high).

In the UK, as soon as you mount a camera (even to the little Hubsan sold in Maplins) it becomes an UASA (unmanned aerial surveillance aircraft) and falls under the rules of the CAA. If the footage / photos you shoot will be used commercially at any point then you need qualifications, permissions, insurances etc. It seems that the USA is finally catching up and the rest of the world are starting to take notice and bring in their own regulations. Hopefully the european laws will harmonise in around 2 years from now.

It's easy to see these things are toys, and the tiny models like the little Hubsan really are toys, but once you get to Phantom and above then real harm can come to people if they are flown irresponsibly. I've seen photos where the props from a Phantom have cut to the bone. Ouch.

Getting great footage in a straight line is relatively easy (though the GoPro & Vision+ have some rolling shutter issues). Getting great cinematic shots with movement takes a whole other level of practice

Good luck and most importantly, have fun with your new tool

Very nice, couple of questions....if I may
    what model is it
    what's the battery life
    What mode of comms does it use, eg Bluetooth or 433Mhz

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast