Thread: UK Philip Bloom style mini film (slo mo)

1. Default UK Philip Bloom style mini film (slo mo)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DzL7k7XzXw" target="_blank">

Hello video people!!

It's been bloody ages since I posted anything on here, but I've enjoyed reading a few of the posts and seen some pretty cool stuff!

This is a video I just finished after boring my girlfriend silly filming stuff and her (but not in the good way) on holiday in Dorset. I work as a musician and (more recently) as a film maker for musicians, and whilst I was away I thought I'd do something video for myself for a change...

The purpose of this post really is just to get some feedback about this silly little film (and tune I wrote and recorded) and if you like it perhaps I'll do some more! I'm always posting up clips of me playing jazz on my channel and I think most people find that pretty boring unless they're a muso themselves. So, I'm hoping that maybe this combination of my 2 passions has more success than any one on it's own.

It's all shot on my 6D at 720 in 50FPS... The sequence is in 50 fps, which YouTube lets you work in now.. Not sure I got the work flow right having watched a few tutorials.. I basically just dragged my footage into my timeline, nested and graded them and the reduced the speed to 50%. Looks great on YouTube, but not so great on Vimeo (not too many videographers say that I bet). I think to output it at 25 or 30fps I should have told premier pro to interpret the footage at 25fps and put them in a 25fps timeline?? I found that out too late, and the vimeo file: Looks a little clucky to my eyes??

Always enjoy all the mini films Philip Bloom does (although I find he does like to bang on about gear a bit too much), so thought I'd have a go at something similar.

Thanks

Dan Redding x
    http://danredding.co.uk/pro-videography/

Nice footage and nice atmosphere but a bit random. Fits the music well though.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Nice footage and nice atmosphere but a bit random. Fits the music well though.

It's just a stupid thing from holiday... It's a poor mans version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZAcejuvOAQ

I didn't have a 4K cinema camera and anywhere quite as exotic as that though... England all looks a little dreary at this time of year...

Blog Entries

Very Philip Bloom (I'm seeing him give a talk/show to a club later this month as it happens). I enjoyed the music - though I wasn't so keen on the sax, it rather changed the mood. I would be inclined to leave out the two BCUs of your girlfriend as those changed the film form a "postcard" which showed you'd been there (by her presence in the occasional wide and mid shot) to something more about you and her than about the place. Just an opinion Very watchable.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Very Philip Bloom (I'm seeing him give a talk/show to a club later this month as it happens). I enjoyed the music - though I wasn't so keen on the sax, it rather changed the mood. I would be inclined to leave out the two BCUs of your girlfriend as those changed the film form a "postcard" which showed you'd been there (by her presence in the occasional wide and mid shot) to something more about you and her than about the place. Just an opinion Very watchable.

Thanks for Tim. I'll tell me girlfriend she is banned from all future footage!

And yeah, the sax does sound a bit out of place.. He came over with the bass player, as he's a mate, and I hadn't intended to use any sax, but he loved the tune and wanted a go on it. Think he's a bit loud in the mix, so probably my mixing rather than his playing..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Redding View Post
    Thanks for Tim. I'll tell me girlfriend she is banned from all future footage!
    Please don't! Before long she'll not want to appear in any anyway. Just avoid the BCUs which shifts the focus of the video. or better still, make another which focuses on her. She'll love you all the more for it
    Tim

I agree with Tim adding "the human" does change the flavour of the piece a bit but I like the idea of having two edits. One with and one without. Still a nicely shot piece, very watchable.

Perhaps some ambient sounds would have lifted it a bit.

Thanks for posting it.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 03-05-2015 at 12:22 AM.

apologies for the resurrection but i missed this one first time around.... nicely edited and graded. enjoyed the atmosphere and thought the music worked well. would like to see a summer version

i didn't have a problem with your GF appearing in it (apart from the out of focus rear shot
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933