Thread: How do I capture video and create this effect?

Default How do I capture video and create this effect?

If you advance forward until about 2:00 into the clip below, there is a really nice overlay effect of a screen capture on a computer and then a video of a hand with stylus interacting with the screen. Can someone please explain to me how to capture this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsmbtwibNQU

Go to keepvid.com and save the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Go to keepvid.com and save the video.
    I do not mean download it. I mean how is this screen and hand overlay effect done? I want to accomplish the same effect on video that I produce for work but don't know the hardware needed to do it.

Interesting that the hand is NOT always over layed on the text, sometimes it's the other way around. Pause the video at 2:33 and you'll see it clearly.

Also note that the text is not even in the windows 'window' because (again, pause at 2:33) it's positioning is overlaying the windows title bar, something that doesn't happen in a real windows 'window'.

The hand, windows, text are all separate layers in this video, composited to produce the final result.

If you have black text on a white screen you can use a luma key to make the white transparent for overlaying.

I you have white text on a black screen you can again use a luma key & invert to get black on transparent background.

The hand and pen could well be stock photo / video, but you could also film your own generic footage photo and add / animate / overlay as required.

Quote Originally Posted by brianstoiber View Post
    If you advance forward until about 2:00 into the clip below, there is a really nice overlay effect of a screen capture on a computer and then a video of a hand with stylus interacting with the screen. Can someone please explain to me how to capture this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsmbtwibNQU
    you could actually just interact with the screen and video tape the interaction?

the video sample you pointed to has no merit, other than the fact that the white balance was "ok"
    - the delivery was wooden (I'm being uncharacteristically kind here)
    - the stylus was pointless as it mismatched absolutely everything in the video except at 2:00 where it was accidentally in a spot somewhere near the screen cursor (but not really)

i guess what I'm trying to say is that the sample you provided is such a hack job that you should be aspiring to something much greater - you are setting the bar so low for yourself that we would basically have to give you bad advice in order to mimic the sample - and some of us (not me) have principles

you are obviously interested in improving yourself - just forget that you ever saw the sample video and start fresh right here - get rid of those speedos and buy yourself a nice loose pair of boxer shorts - dance around a bit in them - then you'll start to realize your full potential as an artist - there is a really nice video that somebody posted a couple of years ago about hoola hoops - nothing has matched it since - that's the place to start

what sort of camera do you have?

just my opinion of course

you could just get yourself a copy of after effects and become a video god - up to you
    Last edited by zamiotana; 02-27-2015 at 12:24 AM.