Thread: Beginner Questions need help asap

Default Beginner Questions need help asap

Im currently a beginner, who is looking to reach the professional level as a video editor. I have some questions-- so thank you in advance to all answers
    ok so,
    1) Can you give me a top 5 for software programs? Something I can learn to use now that will still enable me to be able to make professional looking videos?(It can be PC or Mac, although Mac would be preferable because that's the kind I use on a day to day basis)
    2) Are there any books, videos, etc that you would recommend I read to learn all that I can to become a will versed video editor?
    3) Is a laptop ok to use? Or does having a desktop make a huge difference?--or are there any alternatives is so, like maybe just hooking up a monitor to display whats on my laptop screen?
    4) Is there a ballpark estimate you can give me from personal experience as well as knowledge on the subject on how much a set up that I can make "pro quality" videos on would be? Can you give me maybe a cheapest price(necessities only)--all the way to the most expensive price(without being excessive, just thorough)

once again thanks for all answers

Quote Originally Posted by parker7d7 View Post
    Im currently a beginner, who is looking to reach the professional level as a video editor. I have some questions-- so thank you in advance to all answers
    ok so,
    1) Can you give me a top 5 for software programs? Something I can learn to use now that will still enable me to be able to make professional looking videos?(It can be PC or Mac, although Mac would be preferable because that's the kind I use on a day to day basis)
    2) Are there any books, videos, etc that you would recommend I read to learn all that I can to become a will versed video editor?
    3) Is a laptop ok to use? Or does having a desktop make a huge difference?--or are there any alternatives is so, like maybe just hooking up a monitor to display whats on my laptop screen?
    4) Is there a ballpark estimate you can give me from personal experience as well as knowledge on the subject on how much a set up that I can make "pro quality" videos on would be? Can you give me maybe a cheapest price(necessities only)--all the way to the most expensive price(without being excessive, just thorough)

once again thanks for all answers
    if you have a Mac you should start with iMovie, then move on to final cut express, then Final Cut Pro as you progress.

you can learn a lot from the final cut online tutorials but I would suggest joining a local video club to learn from others; if you can join a real crew, even in a limited capacity, this is best

your laptop will be ok for now

for pro quality videos you need a camera with manual controls, a way to capture audio (shotgun or lavaliers), lighting for a three-point setup, a way to stabilize the camera (tripod), knowledge of cinematography - the editor is just one small aspect - again if you can inject yourself into a crew you will see what you need and get some tips

if you just want to go out and buy all the above, then you are looking at $10,000 to start

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    if you have a Mac you should start with iMovie, then move on to final cut express, then Final Cut Pro as you progress.
    Just FYI, Final CutExpress died years ago, so it's iMovie or FCPX.

On Mac:

1) FCPX - one off payment and Apple are currently updating for free every 3 or 4 months. Not a rental model, so you pay once and you own it.

2) iMovie - the cheapest, but has some limitations

3) Adobe Premiere Pro / After Effects etc as part of the CreativeCloud RENTAL model. Includes a one month free trial and is cheap to get in to but will cost a LOT more over time. If you stop renting you lose access to your projects.

4) Adobe Premiere Elements (one time buy - not sure if it's still current)

5) Avid (very expensive to get a good system)

On Windows:

5) Sony Vegas (various versions)

6) Adobe Premiere Pro (Adobe Creative Cloud Rental).

7) Avid (expensive)

There are lots of other minor apps like Pinnacle etc.

My personal choice for every day editing is FCPX followed by Premiere Pro (I have CS6 which is pre-rental).

For tutorials look at RippleTraining, Lynda.com and LarryJordan.biz.

For books - In the Blink Of An Eye by Walter Murch. Every editor should read this book.

For computers, laptops work well as long as you get a fast CPU, lots of RAM and a decent GPU. Video editing is becoming more GPU reliant to going cheap (low ram, slow CPU and poor GPU) will cause you to get really frustrated very quickly. You can always hook a large monitor to a laptop if needed. Otherwise the latest iMacs work well as do many reasonably prices PCs. I can't stress enough about the GPU & RAM though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Just FYI, Final CutExpress died years ago, so it's iMovie or FCPX.

On Mac:

1) FCPX - one off payment and Apple are currently updating for free every 3 or 4 months. Not a rental model, so you pay once and you own it.

2) iMovie - the cheapest, but has some limitations

3) Adobe Premiere Pro / After Effects etc as part of the CreativeCloud RENTAL model. Includes a one month free trial and is cheap to get in to but will cost a LOT more over time. If you stop renting you lose access to your projects.

4) Adobe Premiere Elements (one time buy - not sure if it's still current)

5) Avid (very expensive to get a good system)

On Windows:

5) Sony Vegas (various versions)

6) Adobe Premiere Pro (Adobe Creative Cloud Rental).

7) Avid (expensive)

There are lots of other minor apps like Pinnacle etc.

My personal choice for every day editing is FCPX followed by Premiere Pro (I have CS6 which is pre-rental).

For tutorials look at RippleTraining, Lynda.com and LarryJordan.biz.

For books - In the Blink Of An Eye by Walter Murch. Every editor should read this book.

For computers, laptops work well as long as you get a fast CPU, lots of RAM and a decent GPU. Video editing is becoming more GPU reliant to going cheap (low ram, slow CPU and poor GPU) will cause you to get really frustrated very quickly. You can always hook a large monitor to a laptop if needed. Otherwise the latest iMacs work well as do many reasonably prices PCs. I can't stress enough about the GPU & RAM though.
    no more fcp? I'll have to tell our club coordinator to upgrade our workstations! Plus we are still running on CS4 and it sounds like that is long gone too

anyway if fcpx is anything like fcp you will have the best editing experience out of the bunch

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    anyway if fcpx is anything like fcp you will have the best editing experience out of the bunch
    FCPX is way ahead of FCE or FCP capabilities and for most people also much easier to learn. The biggest gotcha is going to be the machine requirements since it heavily leverages the GPU.