Thread: iPhone versus dv cam

Default iPhone versus dv cam

I had a dabble of shooting and editing a few years back. I wonder how the tech has changed now as I had a few problems with the tech of that time. I have both experimented with editing footage from a dv cam (sony) and iPhone (4s). I found that the DV cam was able to adjust to the lighting around me better but as the iPhone is HD it looks better but doesnt have the light adjustment. Do the current crop of iPhones have an improved lighting adjustment feature? Its only a simple promo for my entertainer business.Is it best to get a handheld HD cam?

Thanks for any help.

Well I think you'll find a difference of opinion, however here is my two cents

If you want to fiddle with lighting a bit better on the iPhone you should look at an app called filmic pro - it has dual reptiles - sorry the spell checker said reptiles - I said reticles - one for focus and one for light - so I think this is the best you can do on iPhone or iPad - dual testicles is always best - filmic pro also shows testosterone - sorry microphone - levels so you should be ok - you can edit in iMovie and you're done

with that said, it depends on your application - an iPhone is no substitute for a real video camera or DSLR with manual settings and a proper way to interchange lenses and a proper optical zoom and what not - also iMovie is not a substitute for a real editing environment like fcp, Ppro or vegas - or proper audio for that matter, which is another ball of wax - DSLR audio is pitiful so you'll need a separate audio capture device if you go DSLR - and a clapper to sync them up

For your small business application the iPhone may be fine but can you tell us more about what you want to show in your video?
    Last edited by zamiotana; 02-20-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjkimber3000 View Post
    Its only a simple promo for my entertainer business.
    Do you want to take up making videos as a hobby? If so that's great. If not, but you just want a promo - get someone who has already invested time and money in the equipment and skills to use it to make it. On the basis that you are considering iPhone vs a consumer camcorder, I'd guess you are not about to spend 1000 on a pro shoot (although you will get far, far more for that 1000 than if you spend 1000 on a camera, decent mic, editing software PLUS the time to learn to use it). However it needn't cost. (Or cost much). It's down to timing and meeting the right people. For example, tomorrow night a friend and I are filming a local band as footage towards their promo video. We are doing it because it interests us. Having said that, after meeting with them it turns out their keyboard player is a keen home recordist (if that's what you want to call it) so in return he is recording a couple of songs written by and performed by my accomplice.

You have an entertainer business - perhaps you can do a similer deal. Contact your local film making club. http://www.theiac.org.uk/clubsnew/al...blist-a-d.html
    Tim

Thanks for your replies. I am magician so its basically im looking capture the audience reactions. Zamiotana You say the iphone is no subsitute for a DSLR which I am not disagreeing with havent people filmed whole movies on iPhones before that have had cinema release? Surely its good enough for a small project that would only be show in vimeo embed size? I may be wrong, im only a novice.

Thanks

For what you're looking for an iPhone may well do what you need, as long as it's shot horizontally (not virtually) and held steady. Nothing puts people off like shaky video! You also need to be very careful how you record the sound because handling noise is distracting.

Make sure you mix up wide, medium and close shots. While single shot videos can work well, if they're too long you need a visual stimulus (like an angle and distance change) to keep the viewer engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    For what you're looking for an iPhone may well do what you need, as long as it's shot horizontally (not virtually) and held steady. Nothing puts people off like shaky video! You also need to be very careful how you record the sound because handling noise is distracting.

Make sure you mix up wide, medium and close shots. While single shot videos can work well, if they're too long you need a visual stimulus (like an angle and distance change) to keep the viewer engaged.
    Are there any other good apps you can recommend for iPhone for filming apart from the previous mentioned one?

Thanks

...not that I have any experience with and I only like recommending things I've used or know other people who've used them.

Quote Originally Posted by cjkimber3000 View Post
    Are there any other good apps you can recommend for iPhone for filming apart from the previous mentioned one?

Thanks
    Filmic Pro is THE app for iphone filming.... nothing comes close. you can lock exposure, white balance and focus. BUT, despite what Apple tell us iPhones aren't great indoors in bad light. im guessing thats the conditions under which you would be shooting your magic ?
    Also, consider Filmic Pro kills a fully charged iPhone battery withing 30 - 40 minutes..... make sure you are close to a power socket
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

It's not so much about the gear it's how the gear is used. A Pro crew can and has made a film with an iPhone but the average person wouldn't be able to. You need to learn basic filming skills then adapt them to filming with what ever equipment you have.

Hope that helps.