Thread: Basics of blog videos

Default Basics of blog videos

I'm starting to make videos for my blog. These will be simple: sitting, or standing at a whiteboard, and straight to camera. Now I missing something obvious?? - because it seems very hard to find a simple basic guide to how to do this including eg shooting and editing, the right video format to use for Youtube and for my website, how to upload to my site and to Youtube in a google-friendly way, etc

Is there such a simple guide? I just searched "blog video" in this forum but got only spam posts.

Many thanks

Andy

Blog Entries

Do you have a camera? Do you have a microphone? Do you have a PC/Mac and have you got an NLE (video editing software). What experience of making videos do you have.
    I'm just trying to establish what your starting point is - if you already have kit there's little point us advising on what you need, for example, but we might be able to give you pointers as to how to get more out of it.
    Can you post a link to an example (or examples) of the sort of video you want to make - and maybe the sort you'd like to aspire to.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Do you have a camera? Do you have a microphone? Do you have a PC/Mac and have you got an NLE (video editing software). What experience of making videos do you have.
    I'm just trying to establish what your starting point is - if you already have kit there's little point us advising on what you need, for example, but we might be able to give you pointers as to how to get more out of it.
    Can you post a link to an example (or examples) of the sort of video you want to make - and maybe the sort you'd like to aspire to.
    i you post some early samples under the "user videos" section we can give you some advice

Dear Tim,

OK - how much experience - not enough experience to realise you need to know this.

I've got a Panasonic HC-V210 camera, which I rather thought accepted an external mic but it doesn't. Picture looks fine. Sound is "adequate". My office is boxy and echoes, I might perhaps try putting up a few removable drapes to make it less echoy. I'd rather not record a separate audio stream and link it to the video ... unless I have to. It's an issue.

I'm on a PC. The camera comes with its own Panasonic editing software which works OK. It's better than then the 4 or 5 free / free-to-try editors I've downloaded. If that doesn't do the job I'm proposing to buy - what's the Adobe bottom line - Elements Essentials?

I've puzzled things out to make a few videos but found it hard work. One question was / and very much still is about the right video formats, settings and defaults to use at each stage for Youtube and for my website. MP3s are soooo much simpler. I'm basically making short "self-help" type videos about meditation and suchlike, standard talking head stuff. The first goal is just to get one a week coming out efficiently.

Then there are questions about how best to upload the videos for bandwidth and for google search engine purposes (eg do I copy the video to my server, or plant a link to Youtube?). Only then, questions about how to make a good video in terms of editing and content.

Zamiotana - I need to make a test video to test lighting conditions in my office, I will post that to the user videos section.

Cheers

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

Blog Entries

Thanks for the additional information Andy. Adobe Premiere Elements or Sony Movie Studio will be more than adequate for your needs. I believe both come with a one button press to create and upload your video to YouTube so you don't need to worry about formats. I'd film using the highest quality your camera will allow (I think it'll do 50 frames per second progressive 28Mbps), edit in this format and only worry about format at all when you are exporting (and if you hit the button to upload you don't even need to worry about that)

One simple tip -I notice your camera has image stabilisation. Assuming the camera will be fixed (ie on a tripod or balanced on a pile of books) and you are talking to it, turn OFF all image stabilisation otherwise the camera may well try to compensate for the movement of your head/body anything else in the frame (believe me - I've learned this from experience)

Don't waste time worrying about the quality of the upload. Unless it looks really bad, the chances are that the differences between doing it this way or that way will be insignificant compared to getting a good image in the first place and more importantly getting good audio. I know you don't really want to, but I'd strongly recommend getting a lapel mic and a digital recorder for this sort of work. You can pick up an Audio Technica ATR 3350 for about 25 and a Zoom H1 for 70. It's a cheap combo, but this cheap mic a few inches from your mouth will sound a zillion times better than a shotgun costing several hundred pounds a few feet away. (This is in the specific case of recording speech - it'll sound crap for music!). It's really easy to sync audio to video. Just set both recording and then make a very sharp noise (eg a handclap). This will create an obvious spike in the waveforms on your timeline which you can use to line up the audio from the video and the audio from the digital recorder. Then mute the audio from the camera. Job done.

If you're just doing a talking head to camera

I wouldn't consider hosting the files on your own server. YouTube has the capacity and the bandwidth and everyone knows it.

Looking forward to seeing your test video. Good luck and keep asking - these are good questions.
    Tim

I second what Tim said about the audio. With the type of videos you are making good quality audio is very important to raise your videos above the rest.

7. Default

I would also agree with Tim about the audio-part. I think he has given quite a good explanation, though I do not necessarily agree with the server part. I would actually consider hosting the files on my own server. Yes, YouTube has the capacity, but I would wanna have a backup of my files just in case. Ofcourse you can also use a usb, NAS or external hard drive, but I myself prefer to use a dynamic cloud server for that purpose.
    Last edited by vidwall; 07-16-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Of course you'd have a local backup! But if the blog takes off, I don't recon a domestic broadband line and server is as likely to cope with demand as YouTube's servers. What's more, peoplea are far more likely to come across bogs hosted on YouTube than on Andy3142.com
    Tim

If I can offer a few words of advice, have you thought of doing something to give your blog series a unique look or feel. You could use a green screen to create an environment uniquely tailored to your topic of choice or you could get theatrical about things and employ a little comedy acting. In my experience people find one's ability to laugh and poke fun at themselves very endearing. Maybe you could give yourself a unique look that people can associate you with. I'm sure you've made these considerations and ultimately these factors depend entirely on the type of blog you want to make.