Thread: Any budget hd camcoder for youtube videos?

Thumbs up Any budget hd camcoder for youtube videos?

Hello,

I'm currently making videos for youtube and my facebook page with my Dslr, but it doesn't give good quality video specially indoors.

I want a good hd video camera with a good mic as well to shoot videos indoor n outdoor. I have googled a lot, but cant really decide..

can someone suggest me a good camera for that and suitable mic suggestion with it as well?
    Total budget is around 300.

I'd appreciate you kind suggestions.

thank you.

Blog Entries

What do you mean it doesn't give good quality? What specifically is wrong.
    Usually the issue with indoor quality is noisy video. DSLRs have larger sensors than camcorders (certainly within this price range) and are therefore better in low light. I'd suggest you are looking for the wrong solution to your problem (unless you have other problems you haven't mentioned).
    If we are talking about noise the solution is to get more light on your subject. Or use something like NeatVideo plug-in to reduce noise - it can produce good results but takes a long time.
    As for a mic, if you have only one person talking to camera, you will get adequate audio with a tie-clip mic such as the Audio Technics ATR-3350 (25 ish). If you want a shotgun mic, something like the Rode Videomic will be an improvement on whatever's on your camera but even that is only really because you are getting it closer to your source (you intend to do that, right? - A camera mounted mic will only be any good if you're in te face of your subject)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    What do you mean it doesn't give good quality? What specifically is wrong.
    Usually the issue with indoor quality is noisy video. DSLRs have larger sensors than camcorders (certainly within this price range) and are therefore better in low light. I'd suggest you are looking for the wrong solution to your problem (unless you have other problems you haven't mentioned).
    If we are talking about noise the solution is to get more light on your subject. Or use something like NeatVideo plug-in to reduce noise - it can produce good results but takes a long time.
    As for a mic, if you have only one person talking to camera, you will get adequate audio with a tie-clip mic such as the Audio Technics ATR-3350 (25 ish). If you want a shotgun mic, something like the Rode Videomic will be an improvement on whatever's on your camera but even that is only really because you are getting it closer to your source (you intend to do that, right? - A camera mounted mic will only be any good if you're in te face of your subject)
    I apologise for making it a bit confusing..

I have Nikon d3100 and I am not happy with its video quality and you cant attach external mic with it.

Can you suggest any good dSLR for video in my price range? With which I can attach external mic as well and gives a better indoor video quality than nikon d3100.

I'd appreciate your reply,
    thank you.

Something is fishy - the d3100 will do what you need - it only records ten minute clips at full HD, but your takes really shouldn't be that long - you need an external microphone like Tim said - since you can't plug an external microphone into the d3100 you should use an audio capture device - I like Olympus for that but other people have their preferences - also you should light the bejesus out of your set but you could get away with a 500 watt as the main light and 250 watt lights for the key and fill
    Last edited by zamiotana; 02-13-2015 at 01:02 PM.

So is the quality you're not happy with in the audio or the video?

Getting a cheap camcorder (which is where your budget is) may help the audio a little (or not) but the video will probably be more noisy than the video from the DSLR. This can of course be improved with lighting, but then audio can be improved more easily and cheaply using an audio recorder and cheap lav mic that is much closer to your mouth than a cheap camcorder will ever be. Audio quality it often directly proportional to the distance of the microphone from the source.

If it's video quality you're suffering with, are you shooting in manual mode or in one of the automatic modes? Use manual mode where ever possible and keep the ISO low.

If the video quality is a problem of focusing the you just need to pay more attention to it and don't move around.

Yes - it could be many problems - could you upload a clip to YouTube and we could see what you mean?

what do you think about NIKON D3200? is it good for making videos?