Thread: Music makes a crappy video look decent

Blog Entries

Default Music makes a crappy video look decent

Mindie lets you pick a song as a soundtrack, and then shoot an accompanying video for sharing on other social networks. Music makes anybodyís crappy videos look more artful, and itís found a popular following.
    I had to laugh at this quote from tech crunch. It neatly sums up about 95% of the videos I've watched on YouTube, particularly those that "borrow" audio and visual.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I had to laugh at this quote from tech crunch. It neatly sums up about 95% of the videos I've watched on YouTube, particularly those that "borrow" audio and visual.
    It is proof (as if any were needed) that audio is the most important part of a video.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It is proof (as if any were needed) that audio is the most important part of a video.
    i agree

I have come to a related conclusion about video vs film - while video is basically a visual record and thus it is what is on screen that is most important, a film is about giving you a tiny window onto a big world that you have painted with sounds, reaction shots, back-stories, incoming calls, etc. - in other words, in a film, what is outside the frame is more important than what is inside the frame
    Last edited by zamiotana; 02-11-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Blog Entries

I think the distinction between the two types of erm .. let's call it "movie" is very useful, however I think naming them video and film is not helpful as one my shoot what you call video on a film and one can shoot what you call a film on anything (I do not use the term video as you can't shoot something on video, "video" being a visual recording er ... you see what i mean about the terms? Film has a specific meaning relating to the medium as well as it's more general purpose use. Video doesn't really have a specific meaning regarding media, although many people associate it specifically with VHS or DV or HDV.

Personally I tend to use the terms film, movie and video interchangably to refer to the visual product we create and I understand your reasoning and indeed I'll even use your terminology to mean pretty much what you describe. Nearly all that I've made I call "video" - documentaries, kids singing & dancing - albeit highly planned and choreographed specifically for the video, even what I call "club films" are videos if that makes any sense). I've only made one what I or you would call film.

However, I think we need new names that define the intention rather than existing terms which mean something else (and different things to different people)

Perhaps a "Zam" could be a self shot monologue with superficial humourous content with an anarchic sub-text.
    Tim

I was about to make a response to your post but I just noticed that the online filmmaking course website is offering a new course starting March 2nd called "much ado about nothing" - I signed up immediately - it will be great to see behind the scenes at the RSC - I have a few good stories from my trip to Stratford but the short version is that i definitely plan to go back - looking forward to the course too

Films tend to be audiovisual experiences, so there is much truth in audio being at least as important as the visual aspects. I'm not jumping onboard the argument about audio being the most important part of the video, because let's face it, if we were forced to choose between video and audio most people would rather see visuals than hear the audio. And just as I typed that I realized someone is going to come and say I'm wrong...

Seems I have less time to write down my thoughts than expected, so I'll tldr:

Yes, audio is damn important and good audio actually does make almost any video/film much better

Ok to test the theory I made a quick video this morning and added one of my own tunes - it is a crappy video in the sense that it isn't stabilized, uses a digital zoom, etc. - and I slapped on one of my own tunes - so you can try it with and without the sound as a test of your theory

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSCinema View Post
    I'm not jumping onboard the argument about audio being the most important part of the video, because let's face it, if we were forced to choose between video and audio most people would rather see visuals than hear the audio.
    I wasn't really intending this to be an argument or even a discussion about what's "more" important. My comment about it being the most important part was rather lazy. However ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SSCinema View Post
    Yes, audio is damn important and good audio actually does make almost any video/film much better
    This is certainly true especially for something that starts as basically watchable (eg Zam's footage of the deer - nothing much wrong with that)

But at the bottom end I would suggest BAD audio is more important than BAD video. Show me a documentary with SD footage (I must keep reminding myself when we say SD we are talking about DVD which we are all perfectly happy with), unintentional vignetting, focus issues, unintentional jump cuts, in which the (poor quality) images are relevant to the story, with reasonable quality audio for interviews and/or voiceover and this will be watchable.

Now show me the same video clips - this time filmed perfectly in beautiful colours, depth etc etc, and with audio that I'm struggling to make out because of clipping and/or room noise and/or ambient noise that changes harshly from clip to clip and I'd really struggle to watch it.
    Tim

9. Default

For what I do the video is a mere accessory. It's pretty pointless without the music.

Ok then can we change the title of this thread to "video makes crappy music sound decent?"

I know that video helps - for example Dido said that she sold a lot more CDs when Roswell picked up her song for their theme - bad example because that particular song is not crappy, but you get what I mean

I think the song "Blame it on Canada" got more airtime because it was a movie theme - now that song was really crappy