Thread: A classic british tractor David Brown!

Default A classic british tractor David Brown!

Hello, here's my video about David Brown 50D restored by finnish guy.

It's shot with Canon 550D and stabilized with Premiere CC.

The sound of the old engine is just incredible! Some parts of the tractor (eg. mudguards) are made by the owner himself.

Blog Entries

This is so wonderfully niche I suspect you'll get 100,000 hits.
    I thought the black at 1:50 lasted too long. I thought it had finished and was disappointed that we hadn't seen the whole tractor. I was glad we did, but I suspect many will switch off.
    This looked like pretty steady hand held work, but we are so used to seeing so many perfect shots today from sliders and steadycams that these looked a little less than perfect. I fear there is no answer to this than to invest in the gear (or rent/borrow). I found myself noticing the camera wasn't level in many of the shots. I also wondered whether some information about what we were watching might have added something (when and where was it built, what was it used for, when was it exported to Finland, when was it rescued and how long did the restoration take etc) but perhaps this wasn't the point of the video.
    Thans for sharing.
    Tim

I'll echo what Tim said, rather than repeating it. Pretty much agree with everything.

I did find the first half a little too long without more information about, either as a voice over or some on screen text perhaps. Not too much, since we don't want to be reading instead of watching. I also thought the early stages needed some ambient sound since I thought we were going to go all the way through the video with just music and none of the awesome engine sound, so was pleasantly surprised in the second half to hear the engine.

Often in editing it's good to go from a sequence of close ups to a wider shot so we retain some sense of perspective, then back to close ups again, but other than that I think you did an good job with the tools in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ... we are so used to seeing so many perfect shots today from sliders and steadycams that these looked a little less than perfect. I fear there is no answer to this than to invest in the gear (or rent/borrow).
    what Tim is saying is all true, if what you are going for is the perfect shot

personally i I think the perfect shot is overrated

yes, if you are entrusted to capture vows at a wedding, you'd better get a perfect shot

but otherwise, as long as your sound and lighting are ok and you didn't shake the camera too much, you are probably doing ok

Blog Entries

A good point from zam.
    Tim

6. Default

I think it needs a split edit at the 1:50 blackout, with the tractor motor audio coming in earlier than the video. Maybe you could even put a long crossfade between the music and motor sound instead of the abrupt end to the music to suggest that the sound of that tractor is music to your ears.

Something about the music seems incongruous. It's pretty romantic for a video about a tractor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I think it needs a split edit at the 1:50 blackout, with the tractor motor audio coming in earlier than the video.
    That's a much more useful comment than my "I didn't like the long blackout ..."
    Tim