Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to succeed reverb effect (Repeating sound)

Default How to succeed reverb effect (Repeating sound)

Hi,

In one of my video I was tempted to use what I think is called reverb, it's a sound that that is repeated a certain number of times before fading, like an echo, the problem is that i don't how to make it successful and convincing,
    what I did what to copy the sound and repeat a few times with the amplitude going down and I added an echo effect present in the software I am using (Sony Vegas Pro 9), but I am not sure of the effect, I need to know how to do it exactly and how
    to calibrate the parameters to make it sound good.

Thank you for your help.

Effects like these are very touchy feely kinds of things.

Without knowing what the source sound is (preferably hearing it) and the effect you're looking for it's very hard to help you.

3. Default

You don't need to copy and paste the sound manually, you can use one of the audio plugin effects that come with Vegas. For example you should have a Reverb and a Simple Delay.

The usual routine is to create an effects bus (Insert FX in the Mixer), insert your desired effect or chain of effects on the bus, set the effect (or perhaps the last in a chain) to 100% effect, turn up the send from the channel to the bus.

An alternative is to insert the effect directly on the channel. There are pros and cons to each way. And as already said, there are good practices regarding settings but there's no one right way to do it.
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 02-02-2015 at 08:01 AM.

Hi, thanks for you answers, actually I am quite confused because I've found that I can only add audio effect directly into the media by right clickign the audio media and select "Aplly non realtime event FX", there's no effect icon on the right of the media like for video media, and I am not sure how I used to do it, maybe because I used to work on windows XP and now I am on windows 7 and on 64-Bits version of SVP9 ...

I can add FX into the mixer and on the track, but I don't know how to use it to target specific media from there ...

Also by channel you mean media or what ? :/

If needed I can upload the sound for you to hear it as a private video on youtube, no problem.

Blog Entries

As with most things in Vegas there are several ways to do this.
    You have discovered one.
    Another is to apply audio FX to the whole audio track,by using the Audio FX icon on the track header
    Or, for maximum control, as boudlersoundguy suggests above, you can create an FX bus and route output from your existing audio track through that (Look up audio busses in help for this method)
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HighMax View Post
    I can add FX into the mixer and on the track, but I don't know how to use it to target specific media from there ...
    If you click on "Pan: Center" (or "Pan: XX%") in the channel control panel to the left of the waveform a drop down menu should appear letting you adjust sends to group buses and effects buses.

I would start with this set to 0dB and control the effect level using the output of the FX bus in the mixer panel.

Strange, I replied yesterday but I don't find my post ...

Well thanks, I managed to add the bus, but it seems it's only made to add FX on entire tracks, I looked into the help file of SVP9 but still couldn't use the bus to target specific media ...

I tried the "simple delay" effect, it's very nice, but there are many paramters to it and to the reverb FX, so I need help to calibrate them, also do I have to use the reverb effect also on the original sound or only on the echoes (delayed sounds), also must the reverb effect be constant or gradually change from a repetition to another ?

If I find an example of a good reverb sound it could inspire me into doing my own, I know it abundanlty exist in the entertainment but I couldn't think of one, if you know one please tell me, whether it is in a film or tv show or game or anime or music etc ...

8. Default

Strange, I replied yesterday but I don't find my post ...

Well thanks, I managed to add the bus, but it seems it's only made to add FX on entire tracks, I looked into the help file of SVP9 but still couldn't use the bus to target specific media ...
    I'm not sure what you mean by this (probably due to imperfect translation). If you want the effect to apply to the track some of the time and not to apply other times you can use envelopes. Envelopes allow you to change parameters over time, including turning effects on and off or raising/lowering a send to a bus. Typing the letter "B" will open/close the bus track view, which lets you access buses in the timeline for making dynamic adjustments.

In your case you may want to use the send envelope on the track to control what parts of the audio are affected.

I tried the "simple delay" effect, it's very nice, but there are many paramters to it and to the reverb FX, so I need help to calibrate them, also do I have to use the reverb effect also on the original sound or only on the echoes (delayed sounds), also must the reverb effect be constant or gradually change from a repetition to another ?
    One basic guideline: Effects on FX buses should be set to 100% effect. That is, no original sound, only the effect, should come through the FX bus as it should already be reaching the main bus directly. Use the output of the FX bus to blend the effect with the original sound.

What effects to use and how much of them to use is entirely up to you. If you're trying to recreate an effect you've heard you just have to experiment. If I heard a sample of what you were trying to do I could offer more specific advice regarding effects settings.

To be honest I am not very enthusiastic about this bus stuff, I mean why would I go use enveloppes when I can simply add the FX when I want to in the timeline ? And it actually seams to complicate things :/

Well I'll try to come up with something and upload it so you can hear it.

Thanks again.

The shit when I use "Apply non realtime event FX" is that actually saves a file and I can no longer modify the FX lol, am I right ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast