Thread: Nistor Ioan - A video about a local craftsmen in Romania

1. Question Nistor Ioan - A video about a local craftsmen in Romania

Hello everyone,

My name is Aljosha Merz. I am a keen amateur film editor, hoping to tun my passion into a profession
    I am new to this forum, mainly because I am looking for some more feedback regarding my video:

This video was created while I was in Romania for a local NGO, but they haven't gotten back to me yet
    Any feedback is highly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Aljosha

Blog Entries

You describe yourself as a film editor, but it is unclear whether you shot the footage yourself, so some of this relates to the shots rather than the editing.

The audio, both voiceover and pieces to camera, was good and clear, well mixed and the choice of music seemed appropriate.
    I liked the lower third although I'd have made the "leather" band quite a bit narrower - just taller than the text.
    The shots of Nistor (eg 1:0looked a bit off. As with the shots of Alexandru, check out the "rule of thirds" - avaoid placing your subject in the centre of the shot. With Nistor in particular, it was a strange composition, too far from the subject.
    By contrast, the close ups of him working the leather were much more interesting.
    Cut out the zooms.
    I liked the cutaways of Nistor doing his work, the cutaways of the tower, on the other hand, (presumably used to cover edits in the interview) felt a bit repetitive. Also there were points where it became a bit hypnotic - Interviewee says a sentence, cutaway and fade up music, fade down again, interviewee says a sentence ...
    I do not like the use of stills in a video unless there is good reason (ie where it is clearly impossible to obtain video footage, or a still could show something better than a video) and the sequence of rotating still images lowered the value of the video - especially as one had rather strange cropping. Indeed I'd rather have seen the goods presented in a "pan and scan" shot than this. However video would have been vastly preferable.
    The shots at the beginning didn't seem to match the narration as they might. For example I presume the building center shot at 0:14 is the citadel, but then you mention the citadel again at 0:27 and I'm not clear that this is the same building - expecially as this is part of the same shot you used at 0:09 as a "general" introduction.
    There were other minor points, I was intrigued as to what Nestor was creating at 2:21 and the folllowing shot - we saw something progress but never saw the result which is a bit frustrating. You can use these little sequences to tell a mini story within film.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.
    Tim

3. Default

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You describe yourself as a film editor, but it is unclear whether you shot the footage yourself,..
    Yes, the footage was shot and edited by me.

The audio, both voiceover and pieces to camera, was good and clear, well mixed and the choice of music seemed appropriate.
    Thanks

The shots at the beginning didn't seem to match the narration as they might. For example I presume the building center shot at 0:14 is the citadel, but then you mention the citadel again at 0:27 and I'm not clear that this is the same building - expecially as this is part of the same shot you used at 0:09 as a "general" introduction.
    The shots you refer to are all of the same building. Maybe "Citadel" is a wrong word and "Fortress" would fit better, as Sighisoara (the town were Nistor works) has a fortress as its historic center. It is in this historic center that Nistor is working, but in a different tower than shown in the shots you refer to.

There were other minor points, I was intrigued as to what Nestor was creating at 2:21 and the folllowing shot - we saw something progress but never saw the result which is a bit frustrating.
    This is a shot, where Nistor is demonstrating the use of old tools, and not making something specific.

You can use these little sequences to tell a mini story within film.
    Thank you for the tip!

Thanks for sharing and good luck.
    Again, thank you for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

Aljosha

I agree with Tim on the stills and zoom. The aereal footage was nice.

5. Default

Thanks

Cut the zoom at 0:30. such a shame you didn't get footage of the products at 1:20 as the still didn't work very well. It might look better zooming in and panning along the photos. Take out the wobbly shot at 1:55. I think you have to learn to be more ruthless in you editing. Also from what we did see I would guess you didn't know what the piece was going to be before filming which means a lack of pre-production this manifest it's self with the lack of shots and having to use stills. Also I would have just stuck to the leather craft as talking about the building is another subject to me.

I don't do well with subtitles so this may have distracted me more than if the film was all in English so it may be better than I think.

Hope this helps.

I thought it was great overall

i thought the cutting was odd - from a picture of an old guy with subtitles to a still of an old boot back to the picture of the old guy with the subtitle - it happened do quickly I didn't have time to absorb it

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Hope this helps.
    Yes, it helps very much, thank you!

I think you have to learn to be more ruthless in you editing.
    There is definitely still much to learn for me. Looking forward to it

Also from what we did see I would guess you didn't know what the piece was going to be before filming which means a lack of pre-production...
    Yes, there definitely was a lack of pre-production, as I was just too ambitious to start filming right away.
    But mistakes are there to learn

Also I would have just stuck to the leather craft as talking about the building is another subject to me.
    Yes, you are right, the building is another subject, but since I did the film for the NGO that restored the tower, I thought it might be good, to have them say, how Nistor started to work in this tower, as well as a brief overview of their project.

I don't do well with subtitles so this may have distracted me more than if the film was all in English so it may be better than I think.
    I know what you mean. However, thank you very much for your feedback, greatly appreciated!

Aljosha

Quote Originally Posted by Aljosha Merz View Post

Yes, there definitely was a lack of pre-production, as I was just too ambitious to start filming right away.
    But mistakes are there to learn
    Exactly, learning from experience is always the best way to learn.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I thought it was great overall
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    i thought the cutting was odd - from a picture of an old guy with subtitles to a still of an old boot back to the picture of the old guy with the subtitle - it happened do quickly I didn't have time to absorb it
    I am afraid, I don't know what you mean. I never used a still of a boot in the film, only videos of Nistor making a boot.

But thanks for the very positive feedback !
    Aljosha