Thread: Content dilution

Default Content dilution

I've noticed a significant dilution of content due to the general availability of filmmaking tools - I just came across a documentary called "sushi: the global catch" on Netflix. Really? Somebody fell into money, bought a red one, and couldn't think of anything better to film than the history of cold, raw fish? MB taught me a new term last week ("prat") but in this case i think the term "ponce" applies to these people who apply top-flight equipment to specious topics.

imho

I could imagine a quite interesting documentary about Sushi.

If the shoe fits ...

Blog Entries

Surely the "significant dilution of content due to the general availability of filmmaking tools" is much more a result of phone cameras, still's cameras with video functions and YouTube than a few who can afford to play around with top end kit. OK "your single-shot whilst driving" film might not make the mainstream, but it does contribute to a general change in people's expectations of what to expect when watching a film.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Surely the "significant dilution of content due to the general availability of filmmaking tools" is much more a result of phone cameras, still's cameras with video functions and YouTube than a few who can afford to play around with top end kit. OK "your single-shot whilst driving" film might not make the mainstream, but it does contribute to a general change in people's expectations of what to expect when watching a film.
    And that represents a dilemma to old-school Indy filmmakers, as well as the 'Hollywood establishment' as a new generation of people with their faces glued to cell phone screens are looking for content that does not exceed their already short attention spans and shallow depth of appreciation for anything artistic. It used to be that a successful film was based on a good story. Nowadays, unless it's replete with flashy VFX and sadistic humor it's not worth their effort to watch. Sad, but true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    It used to be that a successful film was based on a good story. Nowadays, unless it's replete with flashy VFX and sadistic humor it's not worth their effort to watch. Sad, but true.
    A similar statement would have been made decades ago - but then it was "unless it's got a big star, it's not worth their effort to watch". That is still pretty much the case (at least as far as Hollywood is concerned).
    But what we've really seen an explosion of over the past twenty years is alternatives vying for our attention. Twenty years ago there was a choice of four TV stations and maybe four different films within easy reach for me. So it was worth sticking with one of the things that was on offer. Today so much more is on offer that unless something grabs you within a few seconds, you're likely to be searching around for an alternative.
    But I don't think it's all gloom. People making story based films at least have an outlet for their work nowadays - they are not reliant upon one of the big distributors, so for the minnows of today their film will be seen by many more than their equivalents twenty years ago could have dreamed of. Not only does the internet provide this, but the numerous minor cable channels also provide a potential outlet.
    James Webber of this parish recently had one of his shorts screened on one of the major five UK terrestrial channels. And that was definitely not a VFX or Big Star film.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    im not sure that my videos will change the direction of film, but there is one aspect which could be possible - when I worked on (corporate promotional) videos in a professional capacity (as second assistant to the backup clapper-boy) I noticed an inordinate amount of attention to keeping the filming technology out of the frame - in 2015 I think people get that there is some technology being used and wouldn't be surprised to see it - maybe not in a Hollywood film, but in an interview setting for example - my small contribution is to wear my headset microphone for all to see - I'm thinking of switching to an apogee USB microphone to reinforce the point