Thread: Time to replace

Blog Entries

Default Time to replace

It's time to consider replacing my current system I built around a Core i7 2600K nearly 4 years ago. I'm pretty interested in the Scan 3XS Evolve NLE HD Plus here if anyone is interested, but with a GTX970 (it'll make no difference to Vegas by all accounts, but could be significant in Hit Film Pro 3)

Anyway, my question for you is really related to storage

I have numerous hard drives and run my existing system with:
    SSD for OS & applications
    Data Hard Drive (doubles as output drive for renders) also includes music libraries.
    Video/Media hard drive
    “Spare” hard drive.

The spare is in an ICY BOX trayless rack similar to http://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-b...or-35-sata-hdd and I use it for copying footage to and from the PC and for making backups. I'm looking at a pile of 10 drives sitting idle outside my machine with copies and archives. I really ought to move a couple of them off site

I should perhaps add that this is not a dedicated NLE PC. I'd happily have a separate one for other stuff, but I don't have space for more screens (and I can't abide "remoting" onto clients' systems on a laptop)

However, I'm wondering whether I should move the bulk of my storage external - to say a NAS. I'd still like to be able to easily plug in hard drives (hot swap not necessary) so I can take backups on a regular basis.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?
    Tim

NAS will make things easier as long as your network keeps up - I am guessing that you have a fast wired network already?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    NAS will make things easier as long as your network keeps up - I am guessing that you have a fast wired network already?
    Indeed. Networking is not an issue.
    Tim

Take a look at Synology for a good NAS. I've got one and I know several people with them and they've all worked flawlessly. I'm getting between 60MB/s and 120MB/s depending on what I'm copying and where it's coming from / going to.

Drobo was completely the opposite, mine and everyone I know with them failed and they were slow on the network also, so stay clear of those!

For easy removable HDDs I use these: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/newli...ocking-station

I actually have a dual version of it too, so I can either RAID the two HDDs together (gives me about 240MB/s over USB3) or I can use them as two different HDDs (even copy one to the other) or just run one HDD if I want. The other computer has a single dock and I\m often wishing I could plug in two, so thats why I bought the dual dock next time. It also allows you to use bare HDDs, though I realise some people may be nervous of doing that.

Blog Entries

Thanks David. For NAS, Synology was the way I'd go anyway (although Thecus and QNAP are good bets but tend not to have "cheaper" models). I hadn't thought of an external docking station for the HDDs and the dual sounds really useful.

EDIT: You haven't got a link to the dual version have you - I couldn't even find one on the Newlink site.?
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-23-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Thanks David. I'd had a scan but none mentioned you could RAID. Presumably it's not hardware RAID but done in the OS. Didn't know you could do this with USB drives.
    Tim

Yes, it's done at the OS level.

It's a while since I did this in windows but I think you can do this via drive management dialog just like OSX.