Thread: Vegas Pro 13 - How do I find where I speak in a clip in a noisy public environment?

Default Vegas Pro 13 - How do I find where I speak in a clip in a noisy public environment?

So I know you look at the timeline and see where the audio spikes peak. And that's where you are speaking in a clip.

However, is it possible to find myself speaking when in a loud noisy environment? Where the audio timeline has a lot of spikes in it and isn't a flat line (compared to a quiet enviroment)?

Here's an example screenshot of the type of loud environment I'm in:

Look at where the line is on the timeline. That's the start of an interaction with a girl until about 14:40. As you can see there's spaced blue gaps. However, I'm unsure on whether all of the interactions have these blue spaces in between them and I really don't want to miss any out.

As a fill in I'm basically picking up girls on the street in a loud environment recording constantly for hours non stop and don't remember the bits where I spoke and didn't speak. It would take FOREVER to just play the whole clip and find out where I start speaking. This speaking occurs 15+ times throughout the whole hour clips and takes up about one sixth of the total recording time all together.

I will around a hundred of hours of footage with hundreds of interactions.

Is there a way I can make it clearer to find where my interactions start?

Blog Entries

I doubt there's any way you can do if from examining the waveform.
    If you're not interested in the stuff where you have no interaction it does rather beg the question "Why did you record it?"
    One solution might be to turn off the mic apart from when you're interacting - that would be nicely visible in the waveform. But if you can do this you might as well turn off the camera altogether.
    Tim

Spectral layers may be able to help, also by Sony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Spectral layers may be able to help, also by Sony
    I thought of that too (or IsotopeRX4), but surely that will only enable you to find when it happens in the audio in the external application - you'd then need to find that same time back in Vegas. Possibly not a showstopper, but more steps.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I doubt there's any way you can do if from examining the waveform.
    If you're not interested in the stuff where you have no interaction it does rather beg the question "Why did you record it?"
    One solution might be to turn off the mic apart from when you're interacting - that would be nicely visible in the waveform. But if you can do this you might as well turn off the camera altogether.
    Sometimes after I get rejected by a girl (or even get a number) I'll instantly approach another. It's too troublesome to start/stop the recorder, and if they see it then it might ruin the potential interaction. I'm recording to improve myself.

6. Default

See the slider in the bottom left corner labeled "Rate: 0.00"? You can set that pointer more to the right to make Vegas play back at a higher speed. You can also grab the forward/backward slider handle and manually control the play speed. So if you have to go through the material at least you can do it faster. Use the M key to set a marker.

You seem to have clipped the heck out of the audio during recording. That probably sounds bad, and perhaps if you hadn't done that there would be visible peaks where you were talking. Maybe a peak restoration plugin would solve both problems at once.

Right click on the waveform, go down to Channels and select Left Only. That will put the audio, which is currently only on the left, in the center.

Note: I am 7 versions of Vegas behind you so some details may be incorrect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Note: I am 7 versions of Vegas behind you so some details may be incorrect.
    They're not Good suggestions
    Tim

I tried looking for a peak restoration plugin but failed.

Is there any way I can make the timeline more SENSITIVE? As you can see here it's very hard to distinguish between the lines, is there no way to drag the audio timeline down so that I can see where I speak because higher audio spikes show up?

I am still in need of help with this situation.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JediArron View Post
    I tried looking for a peak restoration plugin but failed.

Is there any way I can make the timeline more SENSITIVE? As you can see here it's very hard to distinguish between the lines, is there no way to drag the audio timeline down so that I can see where I speak because higher audio spikes show up?
    The peaks are gone. They went away when you recorded with the level too high.

You can zoom in horizontally using the mouse scroll wheel or the zoom controls in the bottom right corner of the timeline or by grabbing one end of the horizontal scroll bar. You can make the track wider using the zoom controls at the bottom right, by grabbing the bottom edge of the channel controls or by using the maximize button on the channel controls.

You can drag the gain down using the little handle centered along the top of the waveform. I don't know if that will make anything easier. It will lower the volume so you may want to put it back later.