Thread: Wedding Video Business For Sale - Brand Only

Default Wedding Video Business For Sale - Brand Only

After more than 10 years of building Entwined Films into a successful Wedding Video Business I've decided to stop filming weddings to concentrate on my commercial work. I'm not planning to sell the business itself since the wedding videos themselves were my own creations, but I think it would be shame for the brand to sit dormant considering all the effort that went into building it.

Here's an example of my work and the branding:

You can find more details on the website and I'm available to answer any questions people may have.

http://www.entwinedfilms.com/wedding...ness-for-sale/

All the best,
    Jamie

I really enjoyed your video

i'm not sure if I have the right sensitivity to work in this field however

[BUMPS THREAD]

After more than 10 years of building Entwined Films into a successful Wedding Video Business, I've decided to stop filming weddings to concentrate on my comerical work.

It seemed a shame for the brand to just sit there unused so I've decided to offer it to someone else who can build upon my own work.

I should mention that I am not selling it as a 'business' (with order books etc) - just the brand itself.

What exactly is for sale?:
    - Entwined Films Branded Materials
    - Website, Email Accounts, Domains & 12 Months Hosting
    - Social Media
    - After Effects Templates
    - Packaging & Boxes

For full details of what is being offered, examples of the marketing materials and videos, and the price offered please visit the website.

http://www.entwinedfilms.com/wedding...ness-for-sale/

If you have any questions please feel free to ask here or send me a message via the website.

Blog Entries

I'm struggling to see any value in this.

You've built a brand based on your reputation and that reputation is clearly worth something. But the brand without you is worthless from the point of view of the client.
    I can see that maybe a startup videographer might but the brand and hope to trade off your reputation, but if I was a client and had seen your previous work I'd be well naffed off if I found someone totally different turn up and produce what would (except for a few transitions/intros) most likely be a very different video. Now they might be very good - bt in that case they'd surely be trying to establish their own brand, not feed of the back of someone else's. Alternatively they are not very good and, even though you have sold the brand, there is a good chance that this will be detrimental to your own reputation.

To put it another way, just suppose I could buy the "BBC" brand. Very quickly people would realise that despite the logos, what they are seeing is not what they have come to expect from the BBC. I'm seen (rightly) as something of a fraudster. The BBC goes down in other people's estimation because they simply see my work branded as BBC.

Or let's look at it the other way. The BBC want to get into weddings (OK ludicrous, but this is an example) they already have a reputation, why would they want to buy someone else's brand.

Surely when you sell a service business, you are selling a client base. The problem with weddings is there is no client base, with the possible exception of a father of several daughters who might want to book you again - and there's the rub. He wants to book YOU, not someone who has your templates.

What am I missing?
    Tim

Blog Entries

I assume it's the "branding" that's for sale, i.e. the name and logos (and perhaps the url). In my mind, there's little intrinsic value to this; it's fairly cheap to buy a domain, think of a company name and get a logo designed.

It would make sense to buy a ready made business (gear, portfolio and client base/reputation), but this would naturally come at a premium. And this is not offered here.

In terms of the latter: being useless would devalue the brand; Being brilliant would make it seem pointless. I guess you would need to be moderately good and a business novice to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I really enjoyed your video

i'm not sure if I have the right sensitivity to work in this field however

Thanks Zamiotana, glad you enjoyed it. I agree that wedding videography requires a certain mindset and that it's not for everyone. I think to achieve the final product requires that you invest a lot of yourself - so it helps that I'm a complete romantic!
    This is also part of the reason why I stopped filming weddings. It takes a lot to put that much effort into every wedding video, even just the time to edit alone, and I was beginning to struggle in face of my ever busier commercial work.

Hopefully someone with a fresh approach can take advantage of the brand assets... it might be hard work but it's incredibly rewarding work

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm struggling to see any value in this.

You've built a brand based on your reputation and that reputation is clearly worth something. But the brand without you is worthless from the point of view of the client.
    I can see that maybe a startup videographer might but the brand and hope to trade off your reputation, but if I was a client and had seen your previous work I'd be well naffed off if I found someone totally different turn up and produce what would (except for a few transitions/intros) most likely be a very different video. Now they might be very good - bt in that case they'd surely be trying to establish their own brand, not feed of the back of someone else's. Alternatively they are not very good and, even though you have sold the brand, there is a good chance that this will be detrimental to your own reputation.

To put it another way, just suppose I could buy the "BBC" brand. Very quickly people would realise that despite the logos, what they are seeing is not what they have come to expect from the BBC. I'm seen (rightly) as something of a fraudster. The BBC goes down in other people's estimation because they simply see my work branded as BBC.

Or let's look at it the other way. The BBC want to get into weddings (OK ludicrous, but this is an example) they already have a reputation, why would they want to buy someone else's brand.

Surely when you sell a service business, you are selling a client base. The problem with weddings is there is no client base, with the possible exception of a father of several daughters who might want to book you again - and there's the rub. He wants to book YOU, not someone who has your templates.

What am I missing?
    Thanks for your comments Tim. I should clarify that I have no intention of handing over any of my videos to someone else. As you correctly note it would be totally wrong to infer the new brand owner would be producing work of the same style as my own - this is exactly why I'm selling the assets and not the business. The business is 'me' as you correctly state. Plus if I 'were' to sell the business it would be for a far great cost than quoted.

The point is that I have, within my hands, a very beautiful brand, all the associated online materials, digital files and some very professional foil embossed boxes. Any person starting out in business, or looking to give their own business an overhaul would certainly benefit from this package of assets. Had I come across these items many years ago it would have saved considerable time, effort, cost and stress in developing them all. Despite Marc's comments below, even trying to find a creative business name which has the domain name and social media pages available is a lengthy process itself. Add to this designing a brand which works across all platforms (DVD, website, print) takes a huge amount of work.

I understand your comments regarding reputation but in my eyes the new owner of the brand would have to establish their own reputation based upon their own quality of work. I can see where a misunderstanding could be made and have now updated the website to reflect this. So Thank You for sharing your thoughts.

I'll be honest, I'm really struggling to see anyone buying this.

Firstly, they'd have to be bowled over by your particular taste in branding. That's going to cut down the number of potential buyers immediately because not everyone will like it, let alone love it.

Next, they'd have to have 1K spare, which if they are a wedding video startup is more likely to be allocated to equipment than anything else.

On top of that, all the branding in the world won't help unless you've got the content to go with it, since you'll be stripping all your content on hand over, so they'l really need to already be up and running with weddings, so probably already also have their own web site, name and some sort of branding too.

So, while I wish you luck, I highly doubt you'll find a buyer who loves your brand enough to use it instead of making one that fits their own personality, already has their own material to combine it with and then critically also has 1K that they haven't already allocated to buying more gear.

Maybe I'm wrong.

[Edit: Oh, and your offering still says you'e selling a beautifully branded wedding video business at the top - but there's no business to actually buy!]

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm really struggling to see anyone buying this.

Firstly, they'd have to be bowled over by your particular taste in branding. That's going to cut down the number of potential buyers immediately because not everyone will like it, let alone love it.

Next, they'd have to have 1K spare, which if they are a wedding video startup is more likely to be allocated to equipment than anything else.

On top of that, all the branding in the world won't help unless you've got the content to go with it, since you'll be stripping all your content on hand over, so they'l really need to already be up and running with weddings, so probably already also have their own web site, name and some sort of branding too.

So, while I wish you luck, I highly doubt you'll find a buyer who loves your brand enough to use it instead of making one that fits their own personality, already has their own material to combine it with and then critically also has 1K that they haven't already allocated to buying more gear.

Maybe I'm wrong.

[Edit: Oh, and your offering still says you'e selling a beautifully branded wedding video business at the top - but there's no business to actually buy!]

Thanks for your input David. I appreciate it's not going to be to everyone's taste - that the beauty of people having unique personalities and preferences. However, among the thousands of videographers on the internet, one or two may be overjoyed with what I am offering.

To be honest I don't understand why selling brand assets causes such controversy. I can only assume that you've not been through a rebranding exercise yourself and don't appreciate the amount of effort that goes into it... and therefore the intrinsic value of what I'm offering... and what a complete bargain it is to an interested person.

Agreed, what I am offering is not going to be for everyone... that's for sure. But to suggest that nobody would be interested is unfounded. Each to their own.

As for the title on the web page - that is purposefully written as Wedding 'Business' from an SEO point of view to maximise the number of people finding the page on the internet. The page itself explains the true extent of the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Wonnacott View Post
    Thanks for your input David. I appreciate it's not going to be to everyone's taste - that the beauty of people having unique personalities and preferences. However, among the thousands of videographers on the internet, one or two may be overjoyed with what I am offering.

To be honest I don't understand why selling brand assets causes such controversy. I can only assume that you've not been through a rebranding exercise yourself and don't appreciate the amount of effort that goes into it... and therefore the intrinsic value of what I'm offering... and what a complete bargain it is to an interested person.
    On the contrary, I've been through the branding exercise at least 6 times with various businesses, either my own or helping other people over a 30 year period. I totally understand what's easy and what's hard and where the real value is. I've also been through the exercise where people have presented brand ideas that just don't work for me, or they are close but not quite right, so their value was zero.

Agreed, what I am offering is not going to be for everyone... that's for sure. But to suggest that nobody would be interested is unfounded. Each to their own..
    I'm not saying no one would be interested, but I'm struggling to see someone spending the money to get what are effectively prepackaged designs that weren't 'exactly' what they wanted because for the same sort of money (or less) they could build something that IS exactly what they wanted. If you find someone who had absolutely no ideas of their own and simply loves your designs as-is with zero changes and more importantly for you has 1K kicking around to spend on it (rather than buying the always needed next lens, camera, microphone, audio recorder etc) then you're golden

As for the title on the web page - that is purposefully written as Wedding 'Business' from an SEO point of view to maximise the number of people finding the page on the internet. The page itself explains the true extent of the sale.
    In all the years I've been in video production I've never once met anyone looking to buy a "shell" video business without customers, but I have seen lots of people trying to sell them.

The value in branding is not the hard work it takes to design it, but in the hard work, time and money required to build the familiarity the buying public has with it. The cost of the Coca Cola brand wasn't the initial design, it's the cost of every penny they've spent ever since obtaining and then maintaining brand recognition, ensuring it's seen then re-seen over and over again. Buying a brand that had no recognition or reputation is not a brand at all, it's a set of graphic designs that the buyer then has to then start spending more money to gain market recognition.

As I said in the earlier post, if someone already has all the required material to just drop in to replace the ones you'll be removing then the chances are they are already working in the industry and building their own recognition & reputation. They'd have to be really in love with your designs to change course and run with yours instead.

When it comes down to it, the value of wedding branding is in the instantly recognisable images of 'weddings' (which you are removing), not the twirls and scrolls and fonts and colours and templates that go around them. Once you remove the images, if the buyer doesn't instantly have the right images to use how much are the templates really worth?

The value in a web site, designs & domain is how high it ranks in google. If it's in the top three on page one (not paid adds) then there is some real value, but if it's inactive and not ranking well then there's very little if any value there.

Jamie, I truly hope you find a buyer that can run with it because I know how much effort and heartache goes in to building a brand, but selling it as an empty shell may prove to be harder than you hope. Good luck.
    Last edited by David Partington; 06-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.