Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Music recognition and rights issues

Default YouTube Music recognition and rights issues

The last two videos I've uploaded have been flagged with a copyright notice because of the music. The first was a royalty free piece of music which I purchased and someone else claimed to have the rights to. I disputed it and the claim was removed. I've just uploaded another test video with a bit of Cinescore music and that has been flagged by YouTube as being a piece called "GREY SEAL", sound recording administered by: AdRev for a 3rd Party. I tried Googleing it and could only fine an Elton John song called Grey Seal, which sounds nothing like the music on my video. :/

Am I the only one who is having issues with this.

Blog Entries

That can be a problem with Cinescore, Garage Band and other software which uses pre-recorded loops.

Someone uses the software to make a tune which they they publish (and thus copyright). I'm not sure but would suggest that Youtube simply checks a chunk of your Cinescore track with it's database, finds a match and automatically flags it up.

I've had it with a GarageBand track I used and, in the end, the video got its audio removed despite me pointing out that I was using the music well within the T&Cs of Garageband.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    sound recording administered by: AdRev for a 3rd Party.
    I wonder if this is some sort of scam whereby some company claims rights on random pieces of music (especially stuff that is well known adaptive production music such as Cinescore & Smartsound) in the hope that there will be some sort of payment made from Google's advertising revenue from your (our) pages.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Just to follow up RRs post, when I last had a similar thing with some SmartSound music (flagged as someone else's copyright), I contacted SmartSound and they got the claim removed. I'm guessing they have a bit more clout with YouTube than Rob.

Amusingly I posted a couple of videos over Christmas which had my daughter playing "Silent Night" on trumpet to an arrangement I'd done in Sony Acid Pro using (paid for) samples. This got flagged! (For info, the tune itself is well out of copyright)
    Tim

AdRev might sound like a scam where shady individuals claim to own the tracks, but I think AdRev is actually supposed to be one of the "good guys". I have in past gotten flagged for using ProScores (product by Andrew Kramer/Video CoPilot) and it actually recognized the tracks as ProScores tracks but still claimed to own them. They are all royalty free after the package is bought. After bringing it up with Video Copilot they told me AdRev is hired by them to keep an eye on their music as others have in past tried to claim them as their own for monetizing purposes. They asked AdRev to whitelist me and they did. It's bit of a shame to have to send email to seller of musical product to get it whitelisted on Youtube, but I guess they have to fight the wrong claims somehow. I believe AdRev has similiar contracts with other companies. Just dispute the claim if you know you have permission to use it.

And yes, Youtube is quite bad with it's "auto recognizing". There have been all kinds of claims, but I have managed to dispute them all. These include but are not limited to...

-Using royalty free version of composition made in 1700's. (Apparently someone decided their version of the song was worth protecting and now it incorrectly recognizes Beethoven's music as their piece)
    -Using very ambient piece with mostly random peaceful sounds. (Who would have known random humms here and there could sound so alike)
    -Using other royalty free tracks that someone decided to wrongfully claim (happens bit too often to my liking)

I have also heard that some clever being claimed to own the sound of certain bird singing. Many videos shot outdoors got flagged immediately.

Well I'm not sure I should be glad it's not just me as this smacks of a mixture of over zealous software and corrupt people. The Cinescore piece I used was just a bit of ambient music which sounds nothing like Elton Johns "Grey Seal". I suppose it could be another piece called "Grey Seal" but when I Googled it that's all I could find. I have put in a dispute so I'll await the result.

The other piece that was flagged turned out to be a royalty free tune that someone had put some words to and claimed copyright on the song. I won that one.

The only other time I've had a problem is from a church servise, who would have thought "Thy hand, O God, has guided" or "The Lord's My Shepherd" would be copyrighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The only other time I've had a problem is from a church servise, who would have thought "Thy hand, O God, has guided" or "The Lord's My Shepherd" would be copyrighted.
    It's one of those cases that are somewhat hard for machines to figure out.

"Yes, the song is public domain, but this other dudes version of this public domain song is not, because it's his version... And they sound alike... Because they are versions of the same song."

It's a question of false positives - the software casts a wide net and you guys got caught in it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSCinema View Post
    "Yes, the song is public domain, but this other dudes version of this public domain song is not, because it's his version... And they sound alike... Because they are versions of the same song."
    As with the Beethoven you mention earlier I think you have a misunderstanding.

There are two separate copyright issues: the song itself (ie the words and music) which are out of copyright, and the particular recording, which is in copyright. (Otherwise we'd all be using top quality recent recordings of great classical pieces all the time)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As with the Beethoven you mention earlier I think you have a misunderstanding.

There are two separate copyright issues: the song itself (ie the words and music) which are out of copyright, and the particular recording, which is in copyright. (Otherwise we'd all be using top quality recent recordings of great classical pieces all the time)
    if only this were true

instead I keep hearing recent recordings of not-so great skull-banger pieces - you can get a Beethoven midi - run it though a VST instrument on your PC - and use it - bam!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast