Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Film - Live action integrated into a 3D world

1. Default Short Film - Live action integrated into a 3D world

This is a short film which I have been working on over the Christmas period. It is about a real life boy who wakes up in a cartoon, medieval world.

The entire thing was shot in front of a green screen, and integrated into the 3D environment.

Originally this was supposed to just be a short film, but I am now considering turning it into a web series. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pK4xwHOV0

Blog Entries

There's plenty to like about this: your green screen acting, the integration into the 3D world, the concept. I hope you keep it up and continue with it.

However, I nearly didn't watch. The whole "I" this and "I" that and wooly peuso philosophical stuff at the beginning about dreams was just a massive turn off. It reminded me of the vlogs my nephew does. Why should we care about what you think and feel until we've got to know you? You need to show (not tell) us a bit about yourself (your character) first. Once we care, then we might be interested in your innermost thoughts.

Having said that, apparently that is the way all the successful vlogs work so what do I know?

Your interaction with the environment and the character were far more compelling, they told us something about you. I'd suggest some of the expressions were held for a fraction too long, such that believable reactions started to appear unnatural, but i'm sure this will improve with practice. I didn't like the incorrect punctuation of the captions, but this may be in keeping with the game. I think it would also be useful if you can get other people to read different characters voices as you introduce them.

I look forward to seeing more.
    Tim

I thought it was great but I have to agree with Tim 110%

Since you are new to the forum, let me translate his seemingly opaque comments for you...

"There's plenty to like about this: your green screen acting, the integration into the 3D world, the concept. I hope you keep it up and continue with it." - translates to - "in the fullness of time your stuff may be watchable, but not by me"

"However, I nearly didn't watch." - "I didn't watch"

"The whole "I" this and "I" that and wooly peuso philosophical stuff at the beginning about dreams was just a massive turn off." - "I don't understand EMO and probably never will"

"It reminded me of the vlogs my nephew does." - "he's 11"

"Why should we care about what you think and feel until we've got to know you?" - "we don't want to know you"

"You need to show (not tell) us a bit about yourself (your character) first." - "try it again without your pants"

"Once we care, then we might be interested in your innermost thoughts." - "but we won't care, so let's talk about your pants"

"Having said that, apparently that is the way all the successful vlogs work so what do I know?" - "I'm a legend in my own mind"

"Your interaction with the environment and the character were far more compelling, they told us something about you." - "you come across as a pretentious tw@"

"I'd suggest some of the expressions were held for a fraction too long, such that believable reactions started to appear unnatural, but i'm sure this will improve with practice." - "like I'm sure Zam will grow up some day"

"I didn't like the incorrect punctuation of the captions" - "because I'm also a pretentious tw@"

"but this may be in keeping with the game. I think it would also be useful if you can get other people to read different characters voices as you introduce them." - "your voice is as offensive as your appearance, so please use a different one"

"I look forward to seeing more" - "of my friend Jack Daniels"
    Last edited by zamiotana; 01-14-2015 at 04:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Please understand that Zam is from Canada ....
    Tim

Blog Entries

Technically very good. Well, I liked it but...

A few things didn't work for me. Firstly why he was so scared of the character with the Acker Bilk beard, the Rune Guide. He didn't look frightening or intimidating. His voice was awful by the way. He is also a terrible actor. Yup, really.

The over-titles. Punctuation. Either capitalise Robert AND Brooks or not, and keep it consistent. Sometimes Robert had a capital R, sometimes it didn't.

And the heavenly choir when he went through the door. Puh-lease! Learn the art of subtlety.

Finally. pacing. Waaa-aaay too slow.

However, the bottom line is that I want to see the next episode and enjoyed it.

I think the other guys have pointed out most of the issues with this piece. I liked the piece and thought you did well. It's not easy self shooting so well done.

Ignore Zam, he's just a bit of a prat sometimes .

Blog Entries

I also forgot to add, I thought you did the chromakey really well. Also getting the "look" of the live character in the unreal world. Nicely matched. It's very difficult to get the right feel when combining live action and animation, so thumbs up for that.

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the serial!

(Just up the pace a bit please)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think the other guys have pointed out most of the issues with this piece. I liked the piece and thought you did well. It's not easy self shooting so well done.

Ignore Zam, he's just a bit of a prat sometimes .
    who me???

I watched it again - the music supported the story really well - great job on that too
    Last edited by zamiotana; 01-16-2015 at 02:28 AM.

Nicely done but I would like some more pace. Having the video more stabilized in the real world footage plus having some same gadgets (bolltes, cupboards, ...) in the real and the 3D world might help with the transition.

10. Default

Thanks for the feedback everyone

I've also made a trailer for this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TG8TrzASY0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast