Thread: Timecode

Default Timecode

Hi

Does and liquid user know if it is possible to use a timecode offset or to correct timecode on captured video? Also can you give a clip fake timecode?

Its just that I have a multicam thing and the timecode is out on the 2 cams. (Dont ask me why, i wasnt there!)

Thanks

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

There are three ways of synchronising clips. The first is that you have identical timecodes on all cameras. You don't have that so let's go to the next option.

Multisync. Using this method you select a sync point on each clip from a different camera. Note you must set the sync point in the same way for each (I suggest using markers). Then bring up the Multisync command by right-clicking in the rack area window and selecting Multicam Sync... from the menu. The top section will show you the clips available for syncing and the middle will contain two selection boxes. In the left one you select how the sync points are determined (see why it's important to set them in the same way now?), you can ignore the second list box. Then click "Sync selected clips for Multicam"

Now you will see in the bottom window the Multicam clip with its component clips listed. Make sure they are all there, if one or more is missing then you set a sync point differently somewhere (i.e. used a clip-in on one and markers on the others or something like that)

There is a third way, which is to do what you asked and that is TC-shifting. However this method is not recommended and so I would try the above method first. Let me know if that doesn't work and we can explore the TC-Shift method instead
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thanks very much.

I managed to use the multicam option with markers and it seems to be working fine.

Do you happen to know if pinnacle is bringing out a new version of liquid that supports all the HDF formats? I have Edition 6 pro but i heard somewhere that a new version was on the way.

Have you heard anything?

Thanks

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

HDF = HD

To my knowledge there has been no mention of a new version (latest being 6.1) and with the AVID acquisition now complete it remains to be seen what is going to happen to the Liquid line.
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Ok thanks.

As long as avid doesnt bring out a product that is the same as liquid but more expensive. Thats what adobe did when they bought cool edit and made it into audition!

Nick

Who knows what Avid will do?

My own personal opinion, which is based on nothing, is that they will keep the Pinnacle Broadcast range (as there really is nothing out there to touch it and fills a great void in the Avid portfolio), roll into Avid Xpress the technology from Liquid Edition they like (I imagine this will be quite a few areas but most notably the background rendering engine, the native HDV editing support with its patented Long GOP method, and the support of multiple formats on a timeline)

Once they have done this then I personally expect LE to disappear. After all they would have competing products within their portfolio.

I am thinking they may keep Pinnacle Studio though.

It's all guess games at the moment though
    Lloyd

Well I'll be holding on to L.E for as long as possible. I personally think its alot easier to use than any other avid product.

Would you upgrade to avid if they did make a new product, like you suggest, with liquid features in it?

nick

God no! I hate Avid. Once had the opportunity to play with it and seemed completely over engineered to me and needlessly complex. Some simple tasks were completely non-intuitive. Also, I think it is completely overpriced.

As it happens I am seriously considering turning to Final Cut Studio. I will let you know in a couple of months or so how I get on with it.
    Lloyd

I completly agree with you.

Thanks very much for your help. It would be good to know what final cut is like as I know someone who is also considering it.

Thanks

Nick